Where shall I put my cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1tsjess

Hiya!

So we currently have 2 areas that are viable as to where to put the cage - the basement or a cubby room however I'd like to know which would be best? The basement is great in that it's quiet and cool however in order to let them out we'd need to put them in a carrier and take them upstairs. However the cubby room is convenient in that we'd be able to open up the cage and they can freely roam the room and head back to the cage when they please - but the downside is that the washing machine is in there. The machine has a wooden cover around it so it is fairly quiet but when it's on it is still noticeable. What would you guys recommend?

Guessing the basement from that.
You need an area where you have control of the temperature. Thats one of the biggest considerations. You always want enough room to have some air flow.

Chins should have free roam time any way. Its dangerous. They can hurt themselves or over heat or over exhert themselves. If you give play time you want to limit it.
Chins are great at getting into things and messing with things that they shouldnt. Never forget that lol.
If the washer is right next to them that might annoy them. Depends on the chin i guess. There are certain things they jsut dont like. All of my chins will absolutely freak out at the sound of a paper shredder or a fax going through.

Guessing the basement from that.
You need an area where you have control of the temperature. Thats one of the biggest considerations. You always want enough room to have some air flow.

Chins should have free roam time any way. Its dangerous. They can hurt themselves or over heat or over exhert themselves. If you give play time you want to limit it.
Chins are great at getting into things and messing with things that they shouldnt. Never forget that lol.
If the washer is right next to them that might annoy them. Depends on the chin i guess. There are certain things they jsut dont like. All of my chins will absolutely freak out at the sound of a paper shredder or a fax going through.

Hey!! Sorry I forgot to be more specific, the cubby is a fairly big room and it has good air ventilation as well as the basement. When I meant free roam time, I meant that we'd be able to open the cage whilst supervising them, meaning that if they get scared they can easily get back into the cage if they're out and about playing, as opposed to having to carry them upstairs and them only having a carrier to run to for safety :) The cubby is also quite useful as there's no way they can get out of the room if they were to ever get out of their cage. The cubby is also quiet good in that there aren't any wires they could nibble on (the basement has quite a few tools in it). The only thing I worry about is the washing machine noise and it startling the chinchilla's

i guess what type of washing machine and its condition also matter. I had an older one here that was kinda loud. It also shook a whole lot during spin cycle. And to top it off,any time it stopped spinning it would have a screech.

If you have a nice quite machine that does shake things it might not be as bad. Chins do have great hearing.

i guess what type of washing machine and its condition also matter. I had an older one here that was kinda loud. It also shook a whole lot during spin cycle. And to top it off,any time it stopped spinning it would have a screech.

If you have a nice quite machine that does shake things it might not be as bad. Chins do have great hearing.

ahh right, to be fair because we've built the wooden cupboard around it, it's a whole tonne quieter, it does shake a bit during part of its cycle for about 5-10 minutes max. I think for now we're going to trial it, but if we find them getting stressed due to the noise we're going to move them down to the basement :)

Back