Swelling around spines ? Raised red around spines on the skin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil'Monster lover4life

Help! My lil monster can't seem to catch a break. Her spines seem to have red circles around the skin ,raised/ inflamed looking . The spines seem to be coming out and there flat no bulb/ follicle on the end and very soft ,not firm like the normal! Any suggestions or has anyone had this? - she was given first dose of revolution this past wed, I believe she had mites -vet let me pick up meds, never tested ,but she had before meds as well so I don't think it's that . Nothing's changed at all with anything she's been doing good and holding steady now, now issues other than this ,and she just got done quilling ! Poor lil girl anybody?....

Ouch, sounds painful. I'd bring her in and have the vet to a skin scraping to help either diagnose or rule out the possibility of a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection.

Between now and when her skin/quill condition is cleared up, refrain from using oils applied directly to her skin. Usually, things like flaxseed oil will help with skin conditions like dry skin. But, if we're looking at the possibility of bacterial, viral, or fungal, oil will just make it worse.

Give her lots of love and be sure to wash her things well, so she's not healing, then getting re-infected by whatever it is that's causing it.

I'd continue with the Revolution treatment regimen (ie, one dose every other week for a total of three doses) in case either mites are the primary cause of her issues or have become a problem secondary to the original issue.

Will mites cause this ? In all of my posts I've described our events to a T basically she had while quilling here and there and when I got in touch with her vet I just opted for the revolution because I'm getting tired of all new symptoms . She should have given knowing I didn't get her from a breeder and she did have very dry skin to begin with. Just in time I know all these developed but I feel at the suffering of hedgies knowing this is an issue if it's not to harmful just to treat her. Anyhow end of that rant lol but really she had few here and there now worse and the ends are flat no bulb which led me to call her vet yet again about revolution. So there is no follicle but I did read somewhere that it happens during quilling and to pull out the quills. Did u ever hear such thing? Or could It def be mites eating the follicle causing me a sign that "hey I am here" anyways yes I will continue her treatments of course to be safe I soak everything in a tote in the tub then rinse and repeat -then wash in the washer. I don't wanna put poop in my machine basically but the Sam detergent I use In all steps was ALL for sensitive like I use for my family no smells no dryer sheets nada/ I did use olive oil for her dry skin ? But I haven't recently till I stating just adding few drops to her kibble. :-/////////. Haha all the ?s I feel like she's my baby infant. This am 6:30 she escaped her bin( climbed grabbed the fleece on top covering and went for a ride. My doggie was insane I heard a thump followed by the dog straight staring like she's seen a ghost in the room ). Any how' she ended up in my room she must have wanted her mommy!!!! Thankfully she didn't get hurt and I topped her cage with a gate to keep her in. I'm waiting for the c&c cages to make her a bigger home. As I waited for her to adapt and love us enough then go from there. My next mission is the cage to design.. Ooh the joys. I love her so and she def loves me it's hard cuz sometimes.u have no idea what's going on with them and that's y I love these forums! Thanks for your help as well greatly appreciated.

Back