how long does it take...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcw142

...for hedgehogs to get used to their owners!? I've had Milo for a month or so and he's not affectionate. He loves to explore so I don't take it personally. But will he ever calm down and cuddle?! At least the constant pooping stopped so were a step in the right direction ! :)

How old is Milo?
It's true that some hedgehogs are more active/explorative instead of snuggly but depending on how old he is and what his situations were before you got him he might improve. Is he shy/huffy around you at all or is it just that he seems to constantly want to be on the move? And when do you take him out to attempt to snuggle?

Milo is about three months old. He huffs a bit when I wake him, and some days it takes him a little while to stop. Then he attempts to snuggle but attacks the blanket and always gets his teeth stuck and it scares me. And other days he's constantly on the move, I can't catch a break! haha

In my experience, most will huff upon being woken and picked up. Some to say, "hi, I'm over here," and others to say, "I understand you are here; go away!" Usually, the huffiness goes away after being picked up.

Getting teeth stuck? What kind of blanket does he have?

I have a huffy little guy too. He huffs and vibrates and puts his "bangs" down over his face quite often. But he is probably about 8 weeks old and I have only had him for 2 weeks. I can see progress though. I'm not giving up. I know i am sometimes waking him before he wakes by himself. I can't wait until midnight to see him!! But i do try to wait as long as possible. He is starting to show flatter quills after a while, instead of the barbed wire that i was getting.

yeah, mine flattens his quills more, and doesn't poop as often, so time will tell!! Good luck Bumpa! Also, Shmufflepuff, I use an old tee sometimes when I hold him because he likes to be covered, and he has a fleece blanket

I'm thinking maybe Chester is quilling, which might account for the grumpy moods. His quills are so sharp. They remind me if kitten nails.
LCW.. feel free to message me any time if you want to compare notes. We will see a happy outcome if we have patience and understanding

Back