Questions about food and water

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerlySue

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already. I am adopting two chins in feb when I get back from Mexico and just want to make sure I have everything all ready for them.

I've read lots that tap water isn't safe for them (if I won't drink it I don't expect my animals to) is water filtered from a Brita ok? Or am I better off using ro or distilled water? Do they need the minerals in water that would be missing in distilled?

Also wondering wich food is typically best, oxbow or mazuri? There is a store near by that sells oxbow, or I could order mazuri online.

Thanks so much for the help.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If you just use a water filter you need one that filters out micro stuff, namely giardia, which can be in tap water. Also are you on public water or a well? Pubic water is regularly tested (for human consumption not animal, chins need purer water) well water you need to regularly test yourself. I personally use reverse osmosis water for my chins, it's what I drink too, so it's not really an issue. Distilled water shouldn't be used, it has the minerals removed and that isn't good.

Oxbow and Mazuri are both good brands, it just comes down to which is easier to get and your chins like. If you can find out what they are currently being fed that might help, since it's not good to switch brands if they are already on a good one. The chins I had growing up were fed Mazuri, the ones I have now are fed Oxbow, I really don't notice a difference.

I am on public water, but our chlorine levels tend to be very high. Personally I drink the Brita water, but I do have reverse osmosis water in the house for my chameleons, I'll use that for the chins.

Right now they are on some "chinchilla mix" but my friend who is watching them till I get back is in the process of switching them over too oxbow as that's what hers are on, I'll probably just stick with the oxbow.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I buy a gallon of purified water. Under a $1 and it lasts at least a month. Well worth it in my book.

as Amethyst eluded to, it depends on the content of your water. When i lived in NJ and was on public water, and with a Pur Filter in house, i never rly had an issue. After moving to PA and i was on well water, with a house filter system, and Pur filter, one of my chins developed a bladder stone.

To this day im not sure if it was a symptom of something worse that was going on with him, or just the water. But i had my old nj and pa water professionally tested to see the diff. The well water was much much higher in calcium, minerals, and hardness. As such i switched my chins to bottled water.

If your able to use the filter method, most basic filters should do a decent job. Always check to make sure it lists giardia as they are vulnerable to that.

I think RO water is ok. But you do not want to use distilled. Distilled is actually void of everything possible. So as it gets into your system it can actually take nutrients out of your body.

For bottled types of water, you want to go with something that is labeled 'Purified water' and not spring water. And there is no need for any extra minerals added type of thing for a healthy chin.

Taste the water you give, if it tastes nasty to you then it will taste nasty to the chinchilla.

Back