Wondering if these pellets have lost nutritional value

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strong Chin

Hello,

When we first got our chinchillas, I didn't do as much research as I should have about how long pellets last, so I stocked up on Mazuri. I got a 25 lb bag when we got the chins in late October, but (because we had other bags of Mazuri) didn't get to it until around mid-December.

The only date I can find on the bag says "OCT05163" at the bottom, which I assume means the mill date is October 5, 2016 (not sure why the 3 is there).

I've read that food retains it's nutritional value until 6 months passed the mill date, meaning this food would be ok through the end of March. However, again because I didn't do enough research, instead of putting the 25 lb bag in an air-tight container, I rolled up the bag and put a plastic clip on it. The clipped bag remained in the box it was delivered in, but the box remained open. So even though the food was technically in a closed, rolled up and clipped bag, I guess I can't say it was exactly air tight. I'd say it was like this for a month and a half. I just put it into an airtight container.

My question is, do you think that that month and a half or so of just being rolled up and clipped could have caused it to lose it's nutritional value, or would it be ok for me to use up the rest of this bag (as long as it doesn't last past the end of March)? I'd like to not waste this food if possible, but will buy new food if their nutrition is compromised (and I will definitely not buy such big amounts in the future)

I would use it. As long as it was in a relatively cool dry place, it should be fine.

Iv gotten several 25lbs over the years. And iv usually left it in the big bag it comes in. So far i havnt had any issues. - I do this mainly because i dont have anything that would come close to holding that amount of pellets. I should probably look into that again, since i just started switching back.

Back