Looking for prescription med for my sick baby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deliamaj

love my chins!
So, the short version of this post is, I need a refill on Prednisone for Elena, and I don't know if any of these online pet pharmacies are reputable ... And it's apparently an unusual concentration that has to be ordered if you want it from Walgreens or Walmart, not one they keep in stock. (Also what they charge for it is unholy.) It would probably be less confusing to go back to the vet, but that's complicated too.

The long (and sad) version....
I took Elena to the vet a month or so ago because she was losing weight. Absolutely no change in behavior, eating, pooping - just seemingly causeless weight loss. After the exam and x-rays, the doctor says there's no blockage or stomach issues, her heart issue (previously diagnosed) is not worse, her teeth are fine. They took some blood. Apparently they try without anesthetic first, but they got like half a drop. Not enough to do a full chem panel or whatever they call it... But enough to tell that her white blood cell count was really, really high.

The doctor says this is a really prominent indicator of lymphoma.

A follow up visit indicated even higher levels of white blood cells.

They gave me the Prednisone, but it's really just to keep her comfortable... She could have weeks, or months, or longer, no telling.

I feel so helpless. And somehow sad and glad both that she is still running around her cage, snatching treats from my fingers, making a huge mess of her hay, enjoying playtime... She has no idea her time is limited.

They told me when she stops doing these things, it would be time to come back for the "quality of life" talk.

So... My baby will be going, sooner or later, to join her brother Tseng. At least when they are together again, they'll have each other to snuggle with (they always used to sleep squashed together so you couldn't tell whose limbs were whose). I'm just trying to make whatever time she has be normal and enjoyable.

Which brings me to the Prednisone. My vet is over an hour from me. And open exactly when I am not available to go there. I mean, if I have to leave work early, then I will do it, but it's something I'm trying to avoid. I was really hoping I could just order it from somewhere and have it shipped to me. But it's turning out to be much more of a hassle than expected.

I am going to call them tomorrow and see if I have other options. Maybe they can ship it to me, or leave it at the desk for me to pick up after hours (they have emergency services there after hours).

I just want my baby to be comfortable, and to go on not knowing.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with pet pharmacies, I'd like to know what you think of them, for future reference.

I'm going to miss my furball.

I don't have personal experience, but I would suggest doing a little research on whatever one you do choose to use. See what the reviews are and what people are saying. Or, as you said, it might just be easier to have the vet leave it at the after hours desk for you. Then you wouldn't have to go through all the hassle.

I'm sorry about your little girl. :(

I had to get slightly hysterical to convince them to fill it same day (they kept saying, 24 hours notice! And finally I was like, 24 hours ago you were closed!) But they did it and left it at the counter, and I drove out there and got it, even though I'm pretty sure I was lucky not to have gotten in an accident because of how tired I was.

Elena doesn't seem to have been affected by skipping two days of medicine, so that's good.

Back