Hair issue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kardelen

I need your help and knowledge.
Astrid has a huge patch of hair missing that looks like someone shaved it off.
I know its almost summer time here in Greece and that she has started chancing her coat but i am not sure that this patch of missing hair is just Astrid getting her summer coat.
Any ideas?
Should i take her to the vet?
I have noticed that she doesn't like me touching that spot much....it tickles her too much.Pic is in the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1OLntE09lyQZFFWMDdyTEtlUWM

That looks like fur chewing to me. They do that sometimes out of stress, sometimes out of boredom, and if they do it long enough it can become habit. I would look at if there is anything new happening that could cause stress (change of home, location of cage, anything happening in the family or around house, etc), and also make sure the chin has plenty of toys that it likes to keep it busy.

Chinchillas don't have a summer or winter coat, they have the same coat year round. They shed every few months called priming but it looks more like a line of loose fur not clumps of cut fur.

Thank you so much!
Yes that was what i was meaning...she usually does the priming close to summer(that why i call it changing her coat for summer) but that not it...
I know she has been stressed this couple of days but this whole hair missing thing is over a week.
I haven't seen her stressed or anything and this week i have been home more often that usual and we spend time together and all.
Also i haven't seen her doing any chewing as most of the night i am awake and her cage is literally beside my bed as i don't have a chin proof room and her playground is my bed.
I will keep a closer eye on her....
Is there anything i can do about it? besides more toys?

Back