Hedgehog care video series

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cute... now to post a video about how to clip the nails of a completely uncooperative hedgie.

It'll show how you pick up hedgie, hedgie squirms, you get a foot, hedgie moves the foot away, you get the foot, hedgie moves the foot away, you get the...

Okay, so you're holding a hedgie who is telling you, in no uncertain terms to "fuff off!" You're still holding hedgie, oops, but now you've dropped the clippers. Hedgie settles back to sitting on human belly as human reaches for clippers.

Pick up hedgie. Hedgie looks calm. You go for foot, grasp foot, move clippers toward foot, foot is pulled back by hedgie. You try again. Hedgie laughs at your feeble attempts... and attempts to hide up your sleeve.

So now it's the second night (having abandoned any hope that first night) and hedgie is sitting pretty in your hands. You think it's a good time to try again. HAHAHAHA!!! YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!

Really though, we should probably check out those videos and see how well they compare with expert recommendations. That was a pretty cool find :)

Cute... now to post a video about how to clip the nails of a completely uncooperative hedgie.

That sounds just like my hedgie Sonic. I feel like I am clipping her nails constantly because she only lets me get to one a night, IF I'm lucky. I've tried all the tips and tricks, foot bath before hand, different types of clippers, wrapping her up and letting a foot hang out. . .no good!

I looked through those videos, and there are ones where they feed their hedgies baby mice. Is this safe? I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Either way I don't think I could. I'm fine with snakes eating them because they just swallow them, but I don't think I would want to clean up the mess when the hedgie was done.

I've heard reports here and there about people feeding their hedgies pinky mice. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this and do not do it. I definitely wouldn't use any live mice -- too much risk of injury. And then there's the "ewww... oh g_d, nooooooo!!!!" factor to consider. I also don't know that there's been any research showing that it's any better than their regular diet of kibbles, mealies, and such.

Back