Why is my chinchilla crying?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Banana

Hi everyone! So I recently acquired a chinchilla (today is Monday and we got her on Saturday). She has been making what others describe as a crying noise, and we can't figure out why she's doing it. There's not a whole lot of sudden moments or sounds in the room where she's been staying, and she's not really ever in there alone seeing as either myself or my fiance is pretty much always in the room. When we got her she was being kept with another chin, and our suspicions are that she misses her friend, but I want to make sure that it's not something that could be more serious. And if she is missing her cuddle buddy how can we comfort her, and make her less lonley?

Any thoughts or advice is apreciated!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

It takes most chins at least a week to settle in, but up to a month or more is not uncommon. Especially since she use to be with another chin she is likely calling out to see if anyone else is there. Also anytime she hears, sees, or smells something new (pretty much everything in a new home) she is going to call out to let everyone know she heard, saw, or smelt something. It will lessen with time once she learns what the normal noises and things are and that they don't mean anything bad is coming to get her.

It is very likely she misses her friend, was there a reason they were separated and not sold or given as a pair? It will take time for her to get use to being alone, just spend time with her, talk to her, pet her if she lets you, give her treats and chew sticks. You can also try getting or making her a cuddle buddy toy. Basically a fleece stuffed animal stuffed with fleece that she can cuddle with. You can even buy chinchilla shaped ones in two different sizes that seem to be popular.

That's what we were thinking, but I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing something since we are new to being chin parents.

We didn't buy her buddy with her because she had already been bought and was just waiting for her new parents to come get her. I guess they didn't want both of them, which makes me sad for our Ellie.

We have given her a fleece toy that she has been religiously sitting on, and that seems to comfort her. When she starts crying we sit by her cage and talk to her and pet her (She's not too timid of us and seems to like being pet), and that seems to help calm her down as well.

It just breaks my soul a little bit to know she's missing her friend 😭, but hopefully she will acclimate to her new environment soon and be a little more at peace.

Thank you for your input friend! I really apreciate it!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Back