hedge hog and guinea pig in the same cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richguinea

I currently own a little abyssinian guinea pig but am thinking about getting a hedge hog. I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone here have those two animals? I'm thinking about putting them in a cage together.

This article: http://www.guineapighub.com/guinea-pig-cages.html says that two guinea pigs in one cage will tend to fight if the cage size is less than 10.5 sqft.

The problem is my cage is smaller than that because i originally had one pig. Do you guys think the two will fight?

Absolutely not a good idea. They eat different things, guinea pigs are more active during the day while hedgehogs are nocturnal, among many other issues. Never a good idea to house two separate species together.

darn...I was hoping for a different answer. What about after ive introduced them and they've become accustomed to one another. Will housing a guinea pig and hedgy together still be a bad idea?

The best kind of friend for your little guinea pig, is another guinea pig! Of the same sex of course :)

No you still can't house them together for the reasons I mentioned above...like PP said if you want your guinea pig to have a friend, get another same sex guinea pig.

alright...i suppose i'll go with two separate cages. thanks for the input everyone!

it isn't an adjustment thing it is a different needs this NO they cannot ever be housed together

Back