Smoke in the house with pets?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkedupTara

Do the chinny shuffle!
This is for all pets not just chins, but I was talking to someone today who smokes. I am an ex-smoker, but never smoked in the apartment with the chins.

However, I know many people who do not give this much thought. What are your takes on smoking in the same house/room with your chins or other animals.

My thoughts: It can be just as harmful, if not more to an animal, so I don't do it.

I used to smoke in the same room when I got my first chin back in 2001, but after he had an upper respiratory infection I stopped. I thought I was going to lose him. I still smoke some but not around my chins. Can you imagine how small their lungs are? I don't even burn candles or use any sprays around them. As for smoking now, I go outside. Even in the winter. My grand-daughter and my chins are more important to me and I won't subject them to my bad habit that may harm them in the long run.

I am a none smoker, but I thing if you do it in a reasonable manner. It's okay.
If you smoke a pack a day I would say no, but a 5-10 I think is acceptable.
I would be more inclined to believe that our daily/weekly agents we use to clean up, perfumes, cooking odors, hair sprays, deodorantes, and so on that we have in the house could be as harmful if not more.

As an ex smoker, I can tell you, just one can be harmful. In a house, whether it is one a day or a pack a day, the chemicals will stick to everything, and coat it in sticky stuff.

That is why we never smoked in the house, I had seen what it did to walls and furniture, ick :(

I don't think anyone should smoke inside because it really does make everything yellow unnecessarily. But, if it's doing that to the paint on the walls, imagine what it can do to the chin's coats and their respiratory systems.

I would never let anyone smoke around my chins, ever. I do believe that something like that could actually make me yell at someone. :)

There was one customer back about four years ago. She lied to me and said that she was not smoking in the house. When she was moving I went over to drop something off and you should have seen the walls in that apartment...it was scary stuff. She gave up her chins, thank heavens....and I will never let her have one from me.

It's just a bad idea. If you want to pollute your own lungs, go for it...you have every right...but don't do it to the little fuzzies. :)

As an ex smoker, I can tell you, just one can be harmful. In a house, whether it is one a day or a pack a day, the chemicals will stick to everything, and coat it in sticky stuff.

That is why we never smoked in the house, I had seen what it did to walls and furniture, ick :(

I am an ex smoker myself, and I surely know what you're talking about.;) yuk

I am not saying that it is inoffensive (is that how it's spelt). I am also saying that there are lots of other stuff in the house(cleaning agents, javel, clr, etc.) their fumes (chemicals) that are as bad if not worst, we just don't see it that way because this stuff doesn't get the bad wrap like cigarettes do.
It's not because it cleans, that it's healthy.

I hate when I see people smoking in the houses near the pets and children... It's gross .. I've heard of stories where people just sat there blowing smoke into their animals faces...

I smoke, but not in the chin room. I also wash my hands before I handle them mainly because I smoke. There are occasions that I will run in there for a second with a cigarette in my hand. It is rare and most the time I realize it and walk out.

My mom and grandparents smoked. We had a rule: No smoking in the house. So we never had to worry about the kids breathing in the smoke (since my brother has asthma) and the pets never had to be in direction contact.

But ppl at my work (vet hospital) are always asked to wash their hands if they go out to smoke during a break. Animals can always smell it on you. And they dont normally like it.

Last edited:
It is not a secret that animals develop upper respitory issues as well as having strong links to certain cancers (like lung cancer). We had a black lab of ours die from lung cancer because my idiot parents are huge chain smokers and never even opened the windows.... The vet basically told them that was probably why. Thank god me and my babies dont live in an environment with smoke! never ever for my littles ones

I am an evil smoker, but I do not smoke around any of my animals. I've been trying to quit for awhile now, so I've cut down a bunch, but even when I was smoking a larger amount I have always smoked outside. Smoking is my own habit, so I never want to put anyone around me in danger, counting children, adults, and animals alike.

LOL, Evil Smoker! I try to never poo poo on people who smoke, since i smoked for 13 years, but I will say Chantix, if you have Insurance (it is expensive) worked well for me.

It will be 2 years next Feb that I have not smoked :D

See my best friend had nightmares while taking that. She also thought it made her mad all the time, but I think that was the not smoking. She never succesfully quit.

I pretty much hack up a lung anytime anyone smokes within a 50 feet radius of me, so obviously I don't smoke. I would never allow anyone to smoke anywhere around my chins, either.

LOL, Evil Smoker! I try to never poo poo on people who smoke, since i smoked for 13 years, but I will say Chantix, if you have Insurance (it is expensive) worked well for me.

It will be 2 years next Feb that I have not smoked :D

Wasn't Chantix just pulled off the market for making people commit suicide?

i smoked for many, many years and honestly whenever i have a few drinks, i may bum a cig. i always feel like crap the next day but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
i never smoked in my condo or my house and i would not allow anyone to do so around my children or my pets.
as for quitting, you really have to want to and if you dont 100% want or need to medically, you just wont follow thru. in NJ cigarrettes are over $7.00 for a pack.
i cant justify spending that kind of money, when there are so many other better things I want and/or need!
Good luck Crysta on quitting. It is very hard to do, so I wish you well.

Congrats, Tara on quitting! I have asthma, so I am a non-smoker, as is my boyfriend. If we go somewhere that smokers are, I wheeze and cough the entire next day! I could just imagine how animals lungs feel :(

$7 a pack? Wow, that just seems like so much money!

Chantix made people depressed and suicidal? WOW! Maybe they are better off smoking!! That's just funny, well, it's not but it is. :)

I'd never say that smokers are evil. It's just something that isn't needed and can cause some problems....not to mention the cost. A pack a day is over $200 a month, that's just crazy.

My eyes just get red from cigarette smoke mostly. I can't be in an enclosed area with it for very long. As long as people smoke outside and don't throw cigarette butts everywhere, I don't care. :)

I used to smoke, but quit 14 months ago. I will never go back to it. My husband still smokes in the house, but it is always in another room away from the animals and kids. I've heard many success stories about quiting with chantix. It's true that it has the side effects of nightmares, vivid dreams and yes they did "black box" label it. That means that there is a risk it could cause severe depression and suicidal tendancies, but that is a very rare side effect. The dream thing is pretty common though. I worked in a doctors office for a couple of years and I saw lots of people take it with no side effects at all. But, I'd rather have nightmares or vivid dreams for a couple of months than die from smoke related illness.

Congratulations, Nicky. That is wonderful to hear that you quit and won't go back. It has to be hard with your husband still smoking...I don't know how you could stay off the cigarettes for good with someone smoking in front of you. You are a strong person! :)

I will have to ask my brother if he's tried Chantix. He's a very overweight man and the smoking is not at all good for him at this point in his life. He'll probably get mad at me and refuse to talk to me though...he's so sensitive about the smoking thing.

Back