Total Enhancer Supplement?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bryhansen

When we were about to pick up our chin about a month ago I did some quick research and ended up ordering some Total Enhancer Supplement pellets from ChinWorld (they highly recommended them). I have been giving our chin a couple of these pellets a day with his Mazuri and he loves it...but I just went back to look to see what was actually in them and apparently they have quite a bit of protien. I've read in a couple different threads that Mazuri alone already has more than enough protien. Is it okay to continue to give a couple of these supplement pellets a day? Or should I just get rid of them?

Thanks!

-Bryan

It looks like it has a ton of protein and as an addition to Mazuri's high protein count, that is way too much protein.

Here is the analysis for the Total Enhancer Supplement for knowledge sake:

Protein Minimum of 25.0%
Fat Minimum of 3.0%
Fiber Maximum of 6.0%
Added vitamin A and vitamin D3

How are his bowel movements? Typically too much protein will cause diarrhea. You want to stick to a feed regime with 16-18% “Crude Protein min.”

I wouldn’t feed those vitamins, thats way too much protein imo. Good quality pellets already have vitamins in them. Stick to pellets and hay. I give apple bark and sticks as treats.

ChinWorld has a lot of treats and supplements I would never feed my chins- that is one of them. Stick with quality food, hay, and water, and a few safe treats now and then and you and your chin will be the best off.

I didn't look but it sounds like calf manna maybe? Some breeders have it added to their supplements I believe. I think this is one of those some agree with it, some don't situations. Personally I don't think non-breeding pet only chins need anything extra like that.

Total Enhancer and Calf Manna are similar but different (pellets are two shades of red).

I only use them with under weight rescues after I've taken them off the feed they come in on and put them on my feed. And then, it's a couple of pellets to .5teaspoon depending on the chin's condition.

When I was breeding, I'd give mommas 2 or 3 pellets as a treat. Similar to what Margo does at Bowen.

Thanks for the input, just kind of confirmed what I was thinking. His bowel movements have actually been fine, but I am going to stop giving the supplement anyway.
He gets his pellets, timothy hay, apple twigs, and the occasional rose hip so I think he should be okay. I know a lot of people use some different kind of grains/herbs as a supplement/treat, anybody have opinions about these?

Herb Sensation?
Chinchilla Organic Herb & Grain Fusion
Chinworld Oat Blend

I know things like this aren't necessary, but we are looking for other things to give as treats that are actually good for chins.

-Bryan

I use the Chinworld oat blend as a treat once a week or so, I add some crushed rosehips to it as well. I have also used the Fusion Supplement as a treat, my chins like it as well.

I don't use the chinworld supplement I make my own and give 1/2 tablespoon to each chinchilla a day (I split it up so 1/4 tablespoon goes in their food and 1/4 tablespoon is used as a treat and offered in my hand). My chinchillas LOVE it and go crazy for it they'll eat all their supplement before they eat their pellets.

I prefer the grain based treats over the others any day. They aren't necessary but ok when used in treat like amounts. Be careful about tossing it in with their pellets, it works ok with some, but many chins will become pellet diggers.

I didn't look but it sounds like calf manna maybe? Some breeders have it added to their supplements I believe. I think this is one of those some agree with it, some don't situations. Personally I don't think non-breeding pet only chins need anything extra like that.

They are very very similar. I purchased both when I first got my chin (not knowing any better). Luckily he got a bit of diarrhea, which was what made me stop giving them to him (I probably would have been giving them for much longer had the diarrhea not come about).

Total Enhanser and Calf Manna are pretty close to being the same thing, just different makers. I have noticed the Total Enhanser is a redder color......anyone know what's in either one to give it the red color?? Just curious, if someone knows, I've always wondered.
Pamela

Back