Chinchilla has eye boogers?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CocoChins

My chinchilla ive had for a week or so had been worrying me because he has these eye boogers on one of his eyes. The eye boogers look like the ones you get in the morning just whiter. Its not very close to a liquid and its very hard and crusty. Its been like this for a few days and has not built up. Please help

Are you removing the eye boogers or is it just the same one that is just still there? If it's just the same one he likely just got something in his eye, like hay or dust and the eye washed it out. You can try to gently wipe it off, if he lets you, or just leave it to fall off on it's own. Since it's white not green or yellow or anything I wouldn't worry too much about it.

However if you are wiping the eye booger away and it's coming back he likely still has something in his eye, scratched his eye, or worse case, has tooth root issues. If it keeps coming back he'll need to get checked by a vet to see what is going on.

I found out that his eyes were watery but it went away a few days later. Now i noticed that his eyes are beginning to bald a bit. What should I do about his balding eyes?

If it's just where the fur was wet it'll grow back on it's own now that the area is dry. If however the bald areas are spreading it could be ringworm (fugal infection) due to the fur getting wet. Watch for red flaky skin and a spreading area of fur loss which would also indicate ringworm infection.

Back