Swollen testicles?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisse

Hello,

Today I just noticed how big my chins testicles are. I was worried if they are swollen since I found a picture of another male but his testicles seemed tiny in comparison to Zico's.
How can you tell the difference between swollen or just big testicles. And how big exactely is normal? Do you have any pictures that could help me out?
I will try to get a picture of him soon but I don't know when since he doesn't let me pick him up without biting me lol. Is it maybe possible that my chin just has huge balls?

Well, you don't normally see a chinchilla's testicles, they are normally tucked up inside their body. The only time you might see them normally is if it's hot in the room, he just woke up, or sometimes if there is a female in heat around. If he is an only chin then I would look at the temp in the room, make sure it's below 20C or he could be too warm. They raise and drop their balls to help keep them at the right temp, so if it's too warm they will drop them to try to cool them.

If the temp in the room is fine, and they don't go back to normal within about a day, or if he is fussing with them or not acting right, I would take him in to the vet to get checked out.

As to the right size, I honestly don't have an answer. I guess it would be like asking what size is normal for a human, it varies from male to male. You would need to know what size his are normally to know if they are bigger then normal. They look pink, not red or purple or anything, so that's a good sign.

It was 18°c in the room and he has a male cage mate, it doesn't seem to hurt as he was eating, drinking and pooping fine. I am going to see today if he still seems okay or else I'll take him to the vet thursday

Well they still look pretty much just pink to me. Chins can also get warm from just running around too, so I'm still not really seeing too much reason for concern. You'd more be watching for bright red, like they are full of blood, or if they are purplish, indicating bruising.

I think this thread might help Awkward male anatomy question... Post #19 (on page 2) has some measurements from wild males. Post #22 even has photos of another male chin.

Thank you so much, I get really worried thinking something is wrong with my babies

Back