Liner diver

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mightywifey

Seems like Bumper is a liner diver. Any suggestions to get the liner to stay secure? Here is our current setup...
7yta6ydy.jpg
usa2u5uh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a wheel? hedgies need a bucket wheel or similar to expend energy or they will spend all night messing with their fleece. You can get some here http://www.carolinastormhedgehogs.com/

Also hedgies like a completely enclosed dark place to sleep. Laying out a chunk of fleece or stuffing it in a house can give them something to dig in to and lay under without light. They do not really like houses with openings and no covering to sleep in. I always feel sorry for hedgies that just have an igloo which lets in tons of light and is partially see through to hide in. There are also hedgie bags which some love and some don't. http://quillsnthings.webs.com/accessoriesforsale.htm Loki is always in a hedgie bag and liner dives without one. Sunoo is hit or miss. Sometimes she's in her bag and sometimes she liner dives. She only likes the purple bag and no one likes the brown bag. Don't ask me why. Cinni prefers to just crawl under a chunk of fleece and while she'll mess up her liner in boredom without a wheel she's never under it. Adisa liner dives and I always have to pull her from between fleece layers.

Finally some hedgies just like sleeping under their fleece. You can try weighing it down with rock or bricks but they wouldn't appreciate it. We just cut the fleece 2 or 3 times the width of the cage and fold it over so they sleep in the folds instead of on the bottom of the cage.

I have my fleece taped under pieces of coroplast that i cut to fit the bottom (they fit on top of the cage floor that is also made of coroplast. My little trouble maker climbs under the darn fleece covered coroplast. so he is sleeping between two layers of hard plastic. i moved his awesome bed there. nope. I put a hat in there. nope. I put loose fleece there. nope. I finally figured he might as well do what he wants.

Agreed, a wheel and something to snuggle with inside hedgie's igloo (a small fleece remnant that can serve as a blankie works wonders) may help if you don't already have them.

Beyond that, I'm of the opinion that if being a liner-diver is what hedgie really wants, then hedgie can be a liner-diver and I'll make adjustments. Those adjustments may include putting the food and water dishes in a place where it's less likely they'll get tipped over when hedgie goes burrowing - like near heavy objects that tend to hold the fleece down in that area. Or I'll fold a corner of the liner underneath - which creates a triangular area where there's no liner to crawl under.

Back