To roam or not to roam

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one chin thats an angel, and we can let her roam around the living room, she has never chewed on any moulding or walls, we only have a small section blocked off where all of the television wires etc. are. She doesnt chew furniture and she will return to her cage to pee, however the new member chews EVERYTHING, so she only gets let out in a playpen area with anything wooden blocked off with cardboard boxes.

I am one of those people you let my chins roam, but after the first wall chewing incident I had to line the entire room with cardboard. It seemed to work =)

I let my chilla free roam in the bedroom that is chinchilla proof and he always as me or "Daddy" watching him.

Yes, they are destructive but for the most part, he's pretty cooperative. I just need to call his name and tell him "don't eat that" and he'll stop. I make sure he has plenty of chew toys handy as well as having a little grazing area with hay. So if he does feel the need to chew, he has plenty of healthy options.

Now I do have a few "luxuries" that other people don't have. For example, my chinchilla is the only pet I have and I don't have kids. So my attention + roaming space is 100% dedicated to him. The room is also very small with no closet or anything so it is incredibly easy to keep track of him especially when he likes being within eyesight of me except when he's really tired. That's when he'll go to one or two "sleep" spots. So if I don't see him playing, I still know exactly where he is.

I have half a room that is for my chin and rabbit ( they live in separate cages and are out not at the same time) She come out to play at 8:30pm and I put her back the next morning at 7:00am , but her cage is in the play area and she goes in and out all night . I close the door to the room when she is out .

Back