apple or willow wood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinggles

I have two chins that both really love willow wood but I have read that apple wood is better for them I am all confused so which is better apple wood or willow wood?:pillowfight:

Both are fine. Which ever you can get and whatever your chins will chew will work. The purpose of the wood is for them to chew it and keep their teeth in check, so type really doesn't matter (so long as it's a safe wood). Some chins prefer certain types of wood over others, just depends on the chin.

As Stackie said both are fine. The best wood for your chins is the one(s) they will chew on. I prefer to offer lots of variety there is a whole list of safe wood to choose from (it's just a basic list and doesn't include everything, but a good place to start). Apple wood is most commonly recommended since most chins love it, but some don't like it and/or like other wood just as much.

My chin pretty much ignores apple wood. He'll chew the bark off but leaves the wood (he's a fickle little diva....). He seems to like willow, though. Corkscrew willow, in particular. He DESTROYS that stuff, but weeping willow works for him, too. He seems to like Mulberry as well, but most wood he just seems to take the bark off of and not actually chew the wood.

I agree with the above. Both types are good for their teeth, so it depends on your chin's preference. Mine aren't too picky :)

I finally found some apple wood sticks at Walmart and Eli LOVES them :)
I'll definitely be keeping them in supply!

I offer a mix of woods. The fatties enjoy some more than others, but they will chew anything I put in their cages (minus fleece).

Back