Chin Keeps Kicking Up her Bedding...On Purpose!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungarian_minx

Over the last couple of days, my chin has been acting out. It might have been because we had guests staying for a couple days, although we were barely there to bug her and we’ve had people stay before and she doesn’t care.

But she’s been staring at me through the cage and I have let her out to run around a bit then put her back when she tries to escape under the couch/bed. She keeps staring. I try to give her her favorite sticks but she has been taking them, nibbling one nibble the literally throwing them behind her in anger. The past couple night she did that with four sticks in a row before one of the sticks was acceptable.

I though maybe she was mad because it was time to clean her cage. So i cleaned her cage, put NEW hay in there (meaning hay she has not had before - a mix of alfalfa and orchard grass- she normally has timothy but has become bored of it) bought her TWO new toys (which she definitely showed interest in) then after i put her carefresh bedding down, she started KICKING IT BACK and DIGGING IT UP so it went EVERYWHERE. Then three more times it would repeat where I would smooth it out then she would dig it up. It was definitely on purpose. BTW this was a normal routine of me putting care fresh down and she didn’t do this before.

Then i try to give her some sticks because maybe that’s what she wants and she does the thing where she throws them behind her. So i get pissed and take the sticks i have her out and leave her be. The next morning it seems she stopped trying to dig up her bedding. i don’t know if she wants attention, is pissed for some reason, or has gotten entitled or spoiled.

For clarification - no I do not use any harmful cleaning chemicals on her cage, just a mix of water and white vinegar. I give her spring water. I make sure her cage is cleaned once a week (this week I got busy so it was a week and a half) and I make sure her food and hay is fresh every day and make sure she has new sticks to chew and doesn’t get too bored of her toys. Her cage is a double decker ferret cage and she has two extra lava ledges and a hammock and a wheel and an additional hideout. I give her a dust bath every few days. So she is definitely not lacking at least for a caged pet.

A few ideas...

How old is she? If she is in the 4-12 month range she could be going through puberty.

It could has something to do with your guests. Are/were they noisy? Do any of them smoke or have strong smelling cologne or perfume? Did any pets come with them?

Has your schedule changed at all? Are you spending any less time with her? Spending time at a different time of day?

Guests weren’t noisy I don’t think. we were gone all saturday and sunday and when we got home we all crashed. No smoking or strong smells from them. Honestly nothin has really changed schedule wise. made sure to let her out a little even though i was busy over the weekend. I have not let her in her playpen as much last week just because my schedule was insane but I have been paying her the same amount of attention overall.

Back