Holding by the tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisse

Hello,

I have a chinchilla male that I would like to be able to pick up by his tail. Since currently I have no way to pick him up, but I would like to be able to pick him up in case of emergency. Since grabbing them by their tail seems to be the least stressfull and save way I would like to learn more about it. Because I tried to gently grab the base of his tail but he shrieked so I let go. How do I let him get used to it? And do I grab it at the base where his other fur ends and the tail fur starts or even closer to his body? And if I have him by the tail how should I change the position so that he is resting in my arms? And how much preasure can you put? I really hope someone can help me so that he gets used to it and won't scream when I pick him up.

Thank you in advance.

They do shriek, but I just ignore it. As long as you have your hand tight up against his butt when you grasp the tail, and provide support under his tummy with your other hand or on your chest, etc., you're doing it right. Odds are, you're not going to be able to get him used to being grabbed by the tail. I wouldn't enjoy it either, but you're not hurting him if you do it correctly, he's just crabbing.

Back