Housing two pregnant females together?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbby

I am a breeder of 10 years now but i've never fell into this situation before.
I get another female and decided I would try the two females to a male (I usually just stick to breeding pairs). After a long introduction, they all get along great other than the small squabbles over who gets to drink first lol. The two females are both dominate, though one slightly more than the other and my male is probably the most passive male on the planet. The two girls are always snuggled together and when scared, they run to each other so they have bonded really good.
The issue is, can they stay together during and after birth? Or will they harm each others babies? I have plenty of cage space but I don't want to have to pull them apart unless it's dangerous. Pulling the male away is easy, neither really care if he's there or gone lol.
Does anyone have any insight on this? Thank you :)

I would like to know how this went. Because it sounds like a bad idea seeing that females can be very aggressive they just go for the fight no warning. I think it would end sadly.

It actually went great. The two girls are inseparable now and both tended to eachothers babies as if they were their own. They even helped clean the other up after giving birth.
I could see it going badly in some cases though. Luckily, that wasn't the situation here!

Back