Leaving chins alone for days

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me, as anyone who knows me would tell you, if I was bitter towards you there would be no confusion about it. You asked - I answered. That's all. Hopefully that clarified it and now this thread can get back on track.

Yes, we can delete a portion of the thread. I was hoping after my last post though it would die down and not have to be rehashed again and we could all just move on.

Many people on here have posted the opinion that they would not leave more than overnight, and don't understand how some people leave for more than that time even wit measures in place. I don't like leaving for long and have chin sitters for the middle of even a hot day when I have to be away. But I was wondering how many people have "on call" sitters or a backup person to care for chins even if they don't use them? If you were hospitalized, comatose, or otherwise unable, would someone know how to care for your chins until you could come back?
That's kind of garbled. Basically, even if you normally don't trust others to care for your chins overnight, have you trained someone just in case?
I have a few people that I've gone over everything with a few times and detailed instructions written down and easily find-able near the cage. I also have a boyfriend that regularly helps me and knows what to do (although I seem to always be cleaning the cage and sweeping with he just has more chin playtime). I'm lucky in my chin-obsession that people listen enough to chin-related stuff enough for a good majority of care detail to sink in, and I know they'd look up care (probably on this site since i mention it a lot) for anything they weren't sure about.

Personally, I will not leave my girls for longer than overnight. When that happens, I've anxious the entire time. I have two chin sitters that I can call if needed. One is my neighbor, who knows minimal basic care. The other is a very experienced chin owner.

If you feel comfortable leaving your chins for longer, that is your choice. However, I will not allow that to happen if possible. Even, when I had emergency surgery, I found a way to make sure my animals were cared for. They are my top priority.

My concern and I started a thread about this is what happens if the air conditioning fails due to mechanical failure or electrical outage. A remote monitor of some sort is important as it only takes hours or less to die from heat stroke. Those that live in Alaska... ignore my last.

What about a back up generator to run the central a/c and other appliances in the home?

Wouldn't this solve that worry?

Or a much cheaper idea is having a camera aimed at your chins cages and one at the thermostat (or having some sort of alarm where it will alert you via phone or email if your house temp goes below or above a certain temp?

I know when I was doing saltwater aquariums you could have a back up where it would run the circuits for your tank, and the controllers can monitor temp and alert you via text or email and you can log on and see your tanks stats, turn things on and off manually, and see it via camera if you had one.

Regardless, I think it's smart to have a contact list of people you could call to check on them every couple days (or sooner) or if you notice something is wrong or if there is bad weather, or have a neighbor you trust call you if the power is out, etc.

If you have a contact list of people or a neighbor, why not just ask to have the pet checked on daily, or hire a sitter or even some vet techs will come by your house and check on your pets. I will never understand why would you have a pet, any pet, and just up and leave it for days without being looked at by someone, if you look at the responses of this threat most people feel the same way, they find a way to get the chins checked on.

Last edited:
Enough already. Keep the thread on topic or I'm shutting it down.

Back