Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Breeding & Babies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Breeding & Babies Anything to do with breeding chinchillas or about baby chinchillas (kits) here.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 AM United States

Chinchillas: 4
Question Kit Questions— Surprise!

So a week ago, my fiancé and I came home to two little kit running around the cage. We had no clue that the mom was pregnant! Since then, I have obviously made sure that mom and babies were moved to a cage with the appropriate mesh size and all ledges removes. Both of them are nursing well, and are super active. But yesterday I was noticing that one of them was beginning to climb to the top of the cage and then jump down (well more like fall). I guess I am just curious as to what other modifications I can do to my spare cage so that I can avoid injuries. Also, this might sound really dumb, but should I be seeing little poops in the bottom of the cage or will it take a while for them to get their digestive system up and running? And when would be the appropriate time for a dust bath for mom and babies? All of the information I have read has told me something different.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 PM United States

Chinchillas: 3

Congratulations! I had the same thing happen last week. Kits are now 9 days old, and yesterday started to be more aware of their surroundings and not just climb and fall or jump. Seems to be pretty natural for them. The poops are super TINY, and I wouldn't have even seen them had it not been for a white kit with one in his fur...about the size of a mechanical pencil lead. Also, the mom will clean their behinds after feeding. I already gave mom a bath. The babies are not yet interested. Being my first time with kits as well, I'm hopeful that replicating what they would be doing in the wild will be best for them all. So far they are all 4 doing well and gaining. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:23 AM United States
Administrator/Owner

Chinchillas: 300'

You can dust now if you want to, but the babies will probably just jump in and out.

Kits loooove to climb, which is why breeding my cages are all short, 18" or less. They are pretty bouncy and flexible, but I'm not willing to risk it.

I wouldn't worry too much about poop at this point. If they are active, eating, zooming around - they are pooping.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 PM United States

Chinchillas: 4

Thank you for the responses! The babies are doing well, and are getting so big! We ended up using hardware cloth to create a new top for the cage towards the middle to cut the height in half! I’ve given mom many baths, and the babies still just jump in and out. Recently, I am noticing that the babies are fighting though and it makes mom mad.