Gas - eating too fast?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einstein

Hello,

This is for the chin owners who have been on critical care for an extended period of time. I've been fighting a recurring gas problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

I mix up Critical Care in a very small sauce dish and Einstein eats it up extremely fast. I also put the dish on the floor of the cage so he has to bend over to eat it. I just realized that's not the normal position for him when he eats other food. When he's eating hay or pellets, he's always standing on two feet upright and using his hand to bring the food up to his mouth. I am wondering if this combination of him eating too fast and eating in an unnatural position for their body shape is a potential cause of the gas.

The misalignment of his teeth are apparently atypical but in a good way because there's no abnormal root side growth or cheek lacerations. He's never even drooled. My vet believes it should be manageable and I have gotten him back to eating hay a few times but the recurring gas problem always sets us back medically speaking. I've mistakenly assumed more teeth problems a few times only to find out the real issue is gas.

I'm using simethicone to manage but really need to solve the root cause. We've gone through tests for parasites or other issues that would show up with a chem panel blood test.

Thanks in advance.

Back