URI? Esophagus blocked? X-rays and synesthesia? Panicked.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

I posted this a few days ago:

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6463.html

I had to be away for the weekend so I had him boarded at the vet, where he received the antibiotic (azithromycin) and Critical Care.

When I picked him up, he seemed ok at first, but his breathing is still shallow and if he gets excited he begins to wheeze/grunt again. The vet said that they finished the azithromycin (in less than a week? does that seem right? last time he was on Baytril for at least 2 weeks). They said they don't think it's a URI, but possibly something obstructing his esophageal area that didn't show up in the x-rays (he was sitting, and they were only partial, of his lungs — the other areas were not visible).

To try to confirm what it is, the options are:

• Get a CT scan at the only vet within hours of here who has the capability and machines. This vet also has a bunch of trainees, is known to push procedures and meds when not sure of prognosis, and that alone could cost upwards of $1500.
  • Have him x-rayed again for the other areas at my usual vet. But, to keep him still enough, they're saying they'd need to use an anesthetic and are worried about the effect that could have. They said they'd speak with a chinchilla expert and would find out how they do.
  • Even if either of these methods are used and he does ok, my vet isn't able to do the endoscopy. I may have to go to one of the extortionists in my city who care more about money than animals.
  • There's also a concern that he might suffer from/during the endoscopy...

I've been crying at work all day, trying to hide behind my monitor and keep distracted. I don't know what to do. Whatever happens is going to be thousands of dollars in procedures which may not even work. I have to go feed him his critical care now and I'm terrified that I'll come home to him having given out. He has been so good the past few days, like he knows he needs help.

I've been giving CC mixed with pedialyte for hydration and acidophilus to keep his gut flora going. He does like those ridiculously expensive raspberry chewables. :facepalm:

I know the advice is always "go to the vet" but I've done that and I just get the sense every time that none of them know what they're doing with chinchillas. Even the vet I like. It's always "maybe it's respiratory, here's an antibiotic and go home." I just hope maybe someone here listens to those recordings and maybe can help narrow it down or something.

Here's further info about his symptoms:

• Wheezing
  • A bit lethargic (mostly after the AB)
  • Eating less but trying a pellet every now and then (also after the AB)
  • Still interested in treats, dust baths, chew toys, etc. last I saw (last night)
  • Shallow breathing
  • Occasional wheezing/grunting, especially when excited/active
  • Eyes a bit watery
  • Listening to his chest/breathing, I can hear something like "clicking" inside. The sound changes. Really seems like something could be obstructing his nose/airflow.
  • Nose has been flaring quite a lot. Poor kid is really trying.
  • Less adventurous than usual. He's not usually one to sit around on my lap for more than 5 seconds. But now, it's like he wants to be held more and seems to be responding positively to me trying to help him.

He's maybe 8 or 9 years old. I think I've been friends with this furry guy for longer than most humans. This whole thing is really disheartening.

Well, in response to my own thread: I'm home, he's alive, and he has apparently decided that strawberry Pedialyte and apple banana Critical Care is way better and more delicious than starving to death. He's eating on his own out of the pipette without being forced, which is wonderful. First time ever.

Unfortunately he sounds awful. Every breath sounds raspy/like he has a bunch of boogers or something. Took another recording and a video. In between feeding he was jumping around in his cage. So that seems good. Poopibg again; small and watery but better than nothing.

Update: he's been to a new vet, also very nice. Taking sulfatrim and metacam for the past week. Plus force-feeding CC.

Feeding is getting more difficult: he tires of it quickly and occasionally, because he's using his mouth to breath, he chokes or hiccups. I don't know what it is, it's a high-pitched squeak that looks like choking, with his ears going back and body heaving each time. He does this a few times and then quiets down again.

Breathing still sounds bad; sort of clicky.

I'm really worried today; he still seemed strong before but today he's just a lump. I've been sitting with him, even fell asleep with him for a while. Normally that's unheard of because he can't sit still for more than two seconds, but he seems lethargic and wants to be near me/feel hidden and safe.

I don't know what to do or how to help him. Don't want to stress him out unnecessarily by taking him to the vet if they can't do much, but I've asked them anyway, whether we should come by. The other vet that has the CT machine hasn't responded to my contact attempts. Not exactly hope-inspiring.

I tried to give him a dust bath to make him feel better, out in the open and with my hands so it wouldn't aggravate him too much. It's his favorite thing, but now he doesn't even recognize what it is. Can't smell it?

So sorry you and your baby are going through this. I don't have any advice but I'll be keeping you and your furbaby in my prayers.

Clicking when breathing is usually pneumonia and it is extremely difficult to clear up. When he eats, he is probably aspirating because he can't breath right while eating. This makes things worse. All you can do is keep trying and feed him slowly. Keep him on meds and keep him hydrated. Hopefully, he will get better. I have my fingers and toes crossed for him.

Back