Scar looking line on my hedgie's forehead?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PpunkTheHedgehog

While giving our girl Natalia an oatmeal bath to try and clear up some dry skin, we noticed this purpley raised line on her exposed skin down her forehead. (You know, the line where their quills part)

It doesn't seem to bother her I guess and I've no idea how long its been there, as I never really look. Any idea what it is? Any relation to her incredibly dry skin? She was recently treated for potential mites, although the vet never confirmed mites as she wouldn't let him, she's been a lot less itchy since, though we thought the bath would help with the leftover dandruff. Picture below,

attachment.php

We could take her to the vet but she really is not fond of vets and he'd have to put her under which makes me so nervous... He's the only one who will take her in town, but has hardly really dealt with hedgehogs. so if anyone can confirm if they've seen it before, much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 2016-01-18 19.10.57.jpg
    2016-01-18 19.10.57.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 18
That is a little unusual. Could be a few things - like overzealous scratching, irritation from anointing with something that was left in contact with her skin too long, or one of those scary "need a vet" things.

My inclination would be to monitor closely and keep it clean with just plain water (ie, no soap) If you see improvement, then great. But if it changes for the worse, I'd get her in to see the vet.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for not updating I sorta forgotsies a bit 😆 It seems to have cleared up, nothing's there at all now. So whatever it was, gone.

She's still got some dandruff but with no itching which is odd. Maybe try another oatmeal bath or something this weekend...

Thank you!

Back