Sleeping/Resting at night?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0ko

Hi, I've just bought a 2 year old Chinchilla a few days ago. He came with the cage he's been living in which is nice and big, and he's eating and drinking well so I doubt there's anything wrong with him. However, he seems to be spending a large amount of time at night sleeping and resting in his hammock. Is it common for them to rest all through the day and then decide to have another big nap later? He came about quite lively around 7pm for about an hour and a half, then he returned to his hammock and hasn't moved much since (it's now 11pm). Is this just laziness or part of settling into his new environment? He's done this for the last couple of nights since I got him, only the first night he didn't leave his hammock at all. When he was awake and moving around this evening he came to the edge of the cage and had a good sniff at me, bounced around a bit and had a play so I don't think he's scared of me or trying to hide. Is this behaviour normal or should I make an effort to wake him up and get him playing around at night so his sleeping pattern doesn't go dodgy. Sorry for my lack of knowledge as this is my first chin :)

There's no specific pattern for chinchilla activity - yes, they tend to be more active at night and tend to sleep more during the day, but I've found that they actually sleep at any times of the day or night, mixed with short periods of activity. It's definitely normal. He's also probably getting used to his new environment; he probably feels safe in the hammock. I'd let him do his thing and he'll venture out when he's ready.

Chins are actually not nocturnal, they are most active during the cool parts of the day, sleeping during the warmest and coldest parts. So there is no specific times, they are awake at some point in the morning, sleep, then awake in the afternoon/evening, then sleep, wake in the night, then sleep till morning, each chin is different.

the proper term for chinchilla sleep patterns is crepuscular. They are most active at dawn and dusk with periods of both sleep and wakefulness through out both day and night.

Back