Bo's recent surgery, and now prolapsed penis

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo had surgery on Saturday to repair a laceration that he had on his chest (he had gotten a scratch that got infected, and he proceeded to bite it open whilst trying to clean it), meaning he is currently wearing an E-collar (cone of shame). I noticed around 3 am this morning that his penis had prolapsed. We have had this issue once before, both with no signs of a hair ring. Last time I was able to guide his penis back in, and the problem had fixed itself within a few hours. This time, that is not the case. I just used a bit of neosporin as a lubricant to try and ease it back in, but since he has the collar on, he is not able to clean himself or reach his genitals to work on it himself. I called our vet, and the vet said to bring him in, even though it has only been since last night that the issue has been there. The vet is an hour away, and I am a college student that was drained of my savings account from his surgery on Saturday. If there are any vets that can give me tips as to how to help my buddy, or if it is safe to wait 12 days (when I take him back to have his stitches removed) I would really appreciate it. I don't have the funds for a repeat visit, let alone the ability to skip work and class to take him all the way to the vet. Any help is appreciated, I am at a loss as to what to do.

you said surgery? Is he on pain meds? Prolapsed penis has been associated with pain,illness,malo,etc. If no pain meds, he may be in pain from the surgery and need pain meds. You can try just using water based lubricant( KY,etc.) and keeping it clean then see if pain meds help.Neosporin would not be the lubricant I would recomment to try to reduce the prolapse/return penis to its sheath as it is sticky and thick. Try the water base lube and gently moving the sheath back over the penis after making absolute sure that there is no hair ring and the penis is really clean.

Back