Dustbathes... too many?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinobsessed

Chinchillin'
First off, I'd just like to ask everyone before I post this to not let this question change your view/opinion on me, while I am knowledgeable about chinchillas, I'm always learning every day.
My chinchilla loves playtime, possibly a little too much. It is always a difficulty getting him back in, as I'm sure it is with the majority of other owners too. I have tried many different ways to get him to go back in his cage, and the way I have had the most success with is simply to place his bath house on the floor and he will hop in and I will cover the exit so he doesn't jump out and place it back in his cage. This option has never backfired. However, he will not go into the house if there is no dust in there. I know that the limit on dustbathes are three a week.
So, my question is, If I were to sprinkle a tiny tiny bit of dust into the house, and he were to roll around in that mini portion everyday for a minute, would that cause his fur to dry up at all? From what I've observed, it has not and he has not shown any symptoms such as constantly scratching himself or has had irritated eyes/nose.
Thank you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no that shouldn't be too much A lot of people use this method to get their chin back into the cage. Don't be surprised when he finally realizes your ploy and refuses to go into the bath house

Back