Keeping a hedgie and a guinea pig near eachother?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PpunkTheHedgehog

Hey all! I wasnt quite sure where to put this to be honest, so move if need be.

I've had a hedgie for quite awhile now, (an one before her) but I've run into a new thing. I have a friend that is looking for someone to foster or adopt her guinea pig. My girl is currently in a two level c&c cage, the top is her area while the bottom is currently storage. I was wondering if I could possibly convert the bottom into a guinea pig cage. Obviously they wouldn't interact or share a space, but I had a few concerns just being close. The main being their smells being so close, and the other being the fact that hedgies are nocturnal and guinea pigs are diurnal. Natalia is pretty quiet at night, and seems to sleep well past our loud antics and tv on during the day, but that might change when its another animal. We've had some other pets in the same room in the past with no issues, but not this close proximity. We also keep her very clean and as smell free as possible, but obviously animals tend to smell things better than us mere humans.

Any tips or advice, or is this just asking for trouble?
(If this becomes a permanent adoption, we'll be looking to introduce a second pig, as I've heard guinea pigs get quite lonely)

That is a great question. I have not had experience with it, but I would think it would be OK as long as the temperature requirements don't effect the guinea pig. I would try it and see how it goes. Let us know!

My hedgie cage and my piggie cage is about 5 ft apart and I've never had troubles. Does your hedgie have a wheel? If so, the wheel shaking the cage would be my only concern as it may scare piggie.

Back