Lost teeth?!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbur10

Izzy is Neerly four years old... I had noticed she was eating less over the last few months but took no mind since she was happy and runs, plays etc well today i got a glimps of her eating and I watched her for five minutes. I never heard any crunching. .. Only gumming sounds. I couldn't figure out why. Then I scooped her up to cut her nails and thats when I opened up her lips a bit and saw only one front bottom tooth which seems over grown honestly ... And I didn't see any others... And it all makes sense now. She had been rejecting the bigger x shaped foods for months now and I had no idea why! What the heck should I do?! Should I right out switch her to wet food? Does she need a vet? I don't see any cause for concern other than the teeth being just gone... :(
I've never had a problem quite like this with a Hedgie. Honestly I've never had a Hedgie this old. My first two hedgies passed on closer to two years about 8 years ago... I'm freaking out a little bit.

It will be ok. You can take her to the vet to check that there isn't anything wrong besides old age that caused her to lose them. You can try wetting her kibble to make it softer for her, I would try that before switching to wet food outright.

When Quinn started loosing his teeth (at 4 years old as well), I began wetting his food. I started off adding a tablespoon or two of water and then I started putting enough water in to cover the kibble, letting it sit for a couple of minutes and then pour most off. Quinn ate the wet kibble for 2 years and did great on it. We switched to wet food when he got sick at 6 years old. A note though, the extra water in his food made Quinn's poops rather.... messy. Until he got used to it, there were lots of messy accidents because he couldn't control as well. After he adjusted, he was fine.

Thanks Megan! I looked at her mouth some more and saw she still has a few top back teeth as well but didn't see bottoms... So I ground down her dry kibble into a gritty powder and then took a teaspoon of that and added a teaspoon of water... Turned out the lights and she went right over and ate half of it! I'm so happy that I finnaly noticed and that she was able to eat this.. I'm also offering her some dry ground kibble too... I wonder if she will be ok with that as well?
Thankfully I don't see any infections or abcesses her mouth and gums look healthy... Seems like she's just getting a tad older. My poor baby! :( what a sweet girl she was all day today! She got her Carolina storm express wheel and snuggle sack that she won from the Halloween contest today and loves them! She was very nice when I cut her nails, and she was so good when I checked her teeth! And then she licked my hand all over <3 love this girl!
I'm so happy to hear that she can do well on wetted kibbles for years to come!

Glad you figured out what was going on with her teeth. And that you found something she gobbled down.

You'll know what she thinks about the dry kibble... She sounds like a smart little huffalump... She'll tell you.

Congrats on the new wheel and snuggle sack. I hope she put them to excellent use.

She gobbled up all the wet stuff I put out for her last night and was into her bowl with the dry... I cant tell if she's eaten any dry powder but she investigated at least. Il have to increase the amount of wet stuff I leave for her... It Gunna take me some time to dial the whole situation in...

Thanks smhufflepuff! She anointed with the wheel lol! And seemes to like the snuggle sack which is rare she usually just goes under her linners. Not shure if there has been use of the new wheel yet il be waiting for poop boots!

Yup she is :) she had to make meth to pay for a wheel, and I entered her into the contest in hopes she would stop! But now she likes it to much ;) lol!

Back