Penis Prolapse Care

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not.plugged.in

Yesterday while installing a flying saucer I noticed that one of my chins wasnt running around during playtime with the others and instead just hiding out in a corner in the cage. I thought nothing of it originally thinking maybe he was still tired since it was about mid day. Later that evening during feeding I noticed his penis was hanging outside his body with some poop clinging to it. The head part of his penis was exposed.

I shortly afterwards separated him into his own pet carrier with food and water and some chewables. After a quick google search I suspect that it might have been a fur ring so I inspected his bits. I didnt find anything but thought that maybe he recently had one that he took care of himself and he might just be a bit swollen still. The tip was a bit calloused and bruised so I applied some coconut oil in hopes that it would help soften and moisturize it a bit. While I was doing that I was able to coax it back into its sheath but it is still hanging outside his body. This morning when I checked on him it was still hanging outside his body but remained in his sheath. He doesnt seem to be in much pain since he is still eating and drinking and even sat in a perch while I fed him a treat after his inspection. Im right now in an observe mode to see if it gets better or if I need to take him to the vet since it has been less than 8 hours since I doctored him up. He still runs up to me whenever I pass the cage hoping I'll feed him a treat or a scratch

My main question right now is if coconut oil is safe for chinchillas. I would think it would work since it is organic and since it is tasty it might promote some self cleaning as well as keep it moisturized. We didnt have any ky lube or vaseline on hand so we used our next available resource.

Originally when I pulled him fully out for a ring inspection I didnt have my hands lubed up. However after I applied some oil his penis immediately shrank to about half size. Was this a good thing?
Any tips on how to promote faster healing for the poor guy?

Thanks!

Hya ,
I know this is an old post but did you ever get an answer to this question? I have a chin who has the same problem. He is being seen by the vet this week so if it doesn't sort itself out I will ask her to take a look :)

My male chin had a prolapse after castration, vaseline helped. In your case you should first investigate what is the cause of the prolapse (fur ring etc.) feel free to lube it and get it back in, othewise it can get hurt.

I too clicked on this in hopes to find info. One of my rescue fosters came to me with something like this.

I need to lube it up YUK. oh well.

When there is repeated prolapse not caused by something external, look for a cause of pain, pain in chinchillas from other sources can cause them to prolapse, seen most often in malocclusion chins.

When there is repeated prolapse not caused by something external, look for a cause of pain, pain in chinchillas from other sources can cause them to prolapse, seen most often in malocclusion chins.

What about age? This last batch of rescues are all older. 12+ years old I wish I knew but all the info died when our aunt died.

Back