Squishy poops

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idgie

Chin Geek
d​
My chin, Ripley, is a little over a year old. She has had squishy poops the past 2 days. Yesterday, I stopped all her treats (oats, apple sticks, rosehips, and hibiscus) and gave her a tiny bit of burnt toast. She may be eating/drinking a little less than normal. (She eats Mazuri pellets and grass hay with purified water) She does come out to play. Tonight, I gave her more burnt toast. Poops are still a bit squishy/sticky.
I read in another thread about giving chins 0.3ml of Pet Pectillin twice a day to help her out. Is this the next best step? Do I need to take her to the vet at this point (the weekend is coming up and I don't want an emergency visit.)

I think it's better to take her to the vet and find out what caused squishy poop, rather than wait and only treat it simptomatic. It could be Giardia causing squishy poop, in that case, you wanna cure it on time.

My chinchilla had squishy poop, while we waited lab results i gave her probiotics, vitamins, hay and removed all the treats, at the end it was Giardia so we had to treat it.

Made an appt. with the vet for this afternoon. Otherwise, we won't be able to see her until Wednesday.

Went to the vet this afternoon. Seems that Ripley checks out just fine for her overall health. She hasn't lost any weight. And her poops have regained a normal oblong shape and are a little firmer. So, the vet believed that she was on her way to getting better. She can still only have hay and pellets, but no treats at least for 5 days after her poop gets back to normal. Hopefully, she will continue to improve. Probably didn't need to take her, but there aren't many vets that see chins and I didn't want an emergency over the weekend.

Back