Fly Problem (want to keep chins safe)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelywhiskers

I have a fly problem seems like it's coming from the downstairs where the chinchillas are. I want to use fly spray, but I know it's unsafe for animals. How long would I have to remove the chinchillas to use fly spray downstairs?

I would think it depends on the spray you are using. Is it something at kills and repels them for a period of time? Or is it something that just kills any existing and dissipates (it should say on the bottle/can how long until it's safe to be in the room)? If it's something that also repels I would wait the period of time until it's no longer effective before returning the chins. Also make sure you wash anything around where the chins live that the spray may have come into contact with. If it's something that kills them and then dissipated in a few hours I would wait about a day maybe two, and make sure the area is well aired out so you can't smell it anymore. Also make sure anything the chins would be near or touch gets washed down before returning them to make sure no chemical residue is still there.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm starting to want to know another way as a day or two is quite a bit of time.

Old fashioned fly tapes? messy but they work on the flies as they land on them and get stuck in the adhesive.

I would try to clean up the area to figure out where the flies are coming from in the first place. Is there a dirty trash bin or empty (but not washed out) bottles for recycling sitting around? Is there something that rolled behind something and is rotting? Stuff like that. You need to find out what is attracting the flies there in the first place.

As mercynursie said those fly strips (like these) work to catch the flies, just make sure they are up high enough that the chins can't get them. They don't give off any toxic fumes or anything so they are safe around pets. But they wont stop them from coming if you don't get rid of what is attracting them in the first place.

well what I did yesterday was see if the litter and the chinchilla cages were attracting them or laying their eggs in it. So gave them all a good clean both of them, and killed the flies that were flying around. We both looked in the litter and we think we seen something that might have been a maggot we weren't too sure it was too small and but it was kinda peach colored. and it was only like 1 we spotted from the girls cage.

It could've possibly been 1 fly which flew in which made this problem. I have never seen it like this before. But now I got mesh on windows/back door so hopefully it won't happen again. Just 1 fly today appeared could've been because we didn't see it. But he is dead now. I didn't use any fly spray around them except trying to lure the flies in the kitchen and using it there or upstairs.

But seemed like the hotspot was where the chinchillas are.

Back