New chinchilla experiencing diarrhea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallehall

My two-month old chinchilla has been with me for six days now. He has acclimated well to my house and is very social and trusting. About two hours ago I noticed he started having loose stools, but is not lethargic or acting any differently. I read that I may not be giving him enough hay, so I placed a good amount in his cage. I also read that it is a good idea to temporarily remove his pellets (the Kline diet). So far he has eaten some hay, so his appetite isn't shot. I have been meticulous in caring for this little guy, I am just worried that he is ill! The only stressful thing I can think of that's happened to him lately is that I moved his cage today. He was staying in my bedroom, but he is too noisy at night to be kept there and the room he's currently in tends to stay cooler than my bedroom.

Does the poo stink? If there is a odor it might be a infection or giardia, a vet visit will be in order.

Back