Chin not eating??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelxnurse

I recently got my first chin from a pet store. He seemed to be younger than most others at the store. I brought him home and he was eating fine. but now he's just throwing his hay and pellets around without seeming to eat very much of either. His stool has also gotten really soft and dark green. I feed him Timothy hay and Oxbow chinchilla pellets. Any advise??

Get a good set of scales and keep an eye on his weight first of all. Chins in general are messy about their food habits so actual weight of the animal are the only accurate way to check feeding. If his poops are smooshy loose or diarrhea like you can pull the pellets and just feed high quality timothy hay for a few days and see if things settle down. If the poops are very loose or smelly a vet visit is definitely needed to rule out any viral,parasite,bacterial culprits that need treatment.

He could have gotten an upset tummy from the food switch (if the pet store was feeding a different brand). Keep him on hay as suggested, maybe get some orchard grass or botanical hay to mix in for variety. Many chins have a favorite.

Back