Proper Disinfectant for Cage Cleaning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today i adopted a 8 month old ebony chinchilla and since i have 2 other chinchillas (all 3 are boys) i dont have money for another cage i heard if you disinfect and wash everything thats fleece the strong smells can go away. But im afraid of using bleach since i had a scare awhile back when my aunt passed out from inhaling it too much. So i want to know what else im able to use. And in the meantime im saving up for a cage for the little guy , something for now before i get another ferret nation (minimum im going is a 46" in height).

So all 3 are in one cage? You really should have gotten another cage prior to getting another chin. Ideally you should have put the new chin in it's own cage in it's own room for quarantine for 30 days before allowing them even in the same room. That way if the new chin has any illness (they are good at hiding illness) it doesn't pass it on to the current chins, too late now. Also it allows the new guy to get adjusted without other chins around and for you to get to know him without the others.

Anyways that being said... Back to your question, you can use a mix of vinegar and water to wash things. With the fleece if you do use bleach it will work, but make sure you run it though an extra rinse cycle in the wash. With pans or other hard surfaces rinse very well if you use bleach. I personally don't use bleach because I can't stand the smell. For wood you can sand it down to remove stains after scrubbing with the vinegar and water mix. I'm assuming you are asking because you are just wanting to use some of the existing chins items for the new guy? If so bleach shouldn't be needed unless it's from an unknown chin or one that died.

So all 3 are in one cage? You really should have gotten another cage prior to getting another chin. Ideally you should have put the new chin in it's own cage in it's own room for quarantine for 30 days before allowing them even in the same room. That way if the new chin has any illness (they are good at hiding illness) it doesn't pass it on to the current chins, too late now. Also it allows the new guy to get adjusted without other chins around and for you to get to know him without the others.

Anyways that being said... Back to your question, you can use a mix of vinegar and water to wash things. With the fleece if you do use bleach it will work, but make sure you run it though an extra rinse cycle in the wash. With pans or other hard surfaces rinse very well if you use bleach. I personally don't use bleach because I can't stand the smell. For wood you can sand it down to remove stains after scrubbing with the vinegar and water mix. I'm assuming you are asking because you are just wanting to use some of the existing chins items for the new guy? If so bleach shouldn't be needed unless it's from an unknown chin or one that died.

All 3 are in one But the 2 floors are blocked off and the new chinchilla was taken to the vet a week and a half ago and is in perfect health. The man took both parents and 3 babies to get checked up. If that didnt happen then i most likely would have bought another cage one way or another but since he was checked on then he said there would be no health problems.

And ok so vinegar would be fine. And for the fleece thats good too. So i shall do this tomorrow in the morning since i have more time then. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Vinegar works great :) (besides the fact it'll make said room smell like vinegar for a bit)

It also works great on getting pee stains out of the plastic pans if you're using a FN or CN cage.

Back