Oily Substance

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim_chi

I went to change the water in my chin's water bottle yesterday and noticed an odd odor coming from the cage. Upon further investigation I found a wet spot underneath her bedding and assumed she had just urinated and didn't think anything of it. This morning I went to her cage to feed her and investigated the area and noticed that it was still wet but the substance was more oily than urine like. I cleaned the cage and found another spot in a different area that contained the same oily substance, it doesn't have the ammonia smell of urine but the odor is strong. Does anyone have an idea of what the substance might be? I haven't changed anything in her cage except the bedding switching from Eco-Bedding Odor Control Crinkles to CareFresh Crinkles.

It could be vaginal discharge which could signify an infection. And make sure they cant eat the carefresh as it can cause a blockage.

Has your chinchilla been on any medication recently, as this can sometime cause urine inconsistency. I would take your chin to the vet just to be on the safe side. Infections can onset quickly with chins.

I'll be taking her to the vet on Tuesday, so hopefully he'll get to the bottom of it.

No medications and I already made an appointment for my little Roo girl on Tuesday. Hopefully I'm just overreacting (first time Chin mom)

Back