Chinchilla in a splint

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipandChipMom

Hey y'all
My chinchilla Chip broke her front leg on Monday. Took her to the vet and got her splinted since it was a clean break.
Got her home Wednesday night along with meds and critical care assist feed.
Wednesday night she took the CC incredibly well, she's had it before and knows the drill.she didn't even need to be held.

Today, Thursday, tho she doesn't want a thing to do with it. I can get some down but not a whole lot. She's taking her meds almost with no issue, but is now turning her nose up at the CC which she seemed to love just last night. I know meds can change her appetite.

My concern is I know how to burrito her and I've done it before I'm just scared of messing up her splint or putting her in more pain.

I know she needs to eat so my question is do I need to bundle her and know the splint will be ok or is there a way to make it more enjoyable for her?

I saw on other threads some suggestions on things to add to the mix but I wanted concrete advice on what would be safe to help make the CC more likable.
I saw suggestions like canned pumpkin or unsweetened which I'm guessing is the same as sugar free Apple juice.

Any advice would be great. I want her to eat and be comfortable.

Thanks chinny lovers!!

-Laura/Chip's momma

I'm no expert, but have had to feed CC to my chinchilla recently. My vet suggested mixing a little bit of stage 1 banana baby food with it. Mine didn't care much for that, but did like it mixed with a bit of organic apple juice (I used organic since it didn't have anything but apples and water.) I also brought CC flavored with apples and bananas.

Try the canned pumpkin. It is safe and most chins go nuts over it. Did she stop eating? She may just be eating enough on her own and that is why she won't take the CC.

She just wasn't having it at all. She'd take the medicine more than the cc. She hasn't been eating her pellets but she'll occasionally eat some hay.
I've found a better way to bundle her and have been able to feed her more.
I'll definitely try the canned pumpkin tho. Anything to make the process easier.
thanks for your replies!

Back