X-rays, eye exam, sedation info?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

I plan on taking Carl to the vet relatively soon. I want them to check his eyes and mouth as much as they can. If anybody has ever had their chins eyes and mouth looked at (including x-rays) could you tell me what the vet did? How did they sedate the chin, what did the exam consist of, and a price range (although prices may differ from vet to vet, I just wondered what range of prices I'm looking at) I really appreciate it, I'm thinking of getting x-rays done of his mouth just to put my worries to rest even though he's not showing signs of teeth problems, I have no clue if Carl came from a breeder or a pet store because the previous owner never told me, and I'd like to know if any problems are starting to occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The vet can do an informal exam without sedation but if they suspect something is up and want deatil then xrays and a in depth mouth exam probalby needs some sort of sedation.

My chinchillas paw got injured once and the paw XRAY was done just by holding her, she is pretty good at the vet. But going deep in the mouth would be a different story.

If there see no symptoms I don't see the need to stress the chin with a vet visit and sedation. Those come with risks. The stress could cause him to stop eating among other things. Some chins do not need aneth for xrays and some chins do. Depends on how good your vet is and your individual chin.

I agree with the above. Unless he is exhibiting symptoms, do not put him through the stress. Sedation is usually done with anesthetic gas which itself carries risks (though generally safe; however there is always a chance they could have a negative reaction.) As for prices, those vary greatly between vets so you'd have to call and ask to get a correct idea.

Owning a chin, any chin, comes with the risk of malo-if the chin has teeth is can develop malo at any time in its life, so the x-ray and exam today is obsolete in 6 months, that is how fast things can change in a chins mouth, I have first hand experience of that several times. If treating a malo chin is what is wanted, x-rays have to happen every 6 months to moniter elongatiom. That said, if the chin is not having symtoms, do not have the x-rays done. There is a risk any time the chin is put under with gas, I had one throw a clot and die shortly after coming too and since the x-ray today is obsolete in a couple of months, its not worth the risk.

Back