Cost for Malocclusion Treatment?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubyrolo

One of my Chins (Luna) either has a eye infection or malocclusion. I've take her to the vet and she is on 3 medicines now (some eye drops, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotics). The vet said if she doesn't get better in a week, I've got to take her to another vet that does dental stuff.
I'm just wonder if people can give me cost of malocclusion treatments so I can plan ahead if it comes to it. I'm really hoping the medicine works, but she came from a pet store so it is very possible she has malocclusion. The vet said they would need to take a CAT scan and then drill the tooth-that is what the vet who doesn't do dental said.

If the roots have elongated then there is no treament.
Teeth filings differ between vets and where your located at. But, in my expirence, I have found it is a losing battle. There is no fixing it. You will have to continue to have the teeth filed. It is my personal opinion that having the chin put to sleep is the kindest thing to do.

Cost varies by vet, I have done it all x 10, 10 malo chins. Cat scan 375, MRI was over a1000, x-rays 175-this needs to be done at least once a year to keep a eye on elongation, filings 150-200, needs to be done every 4-8 weeks, depending on the chin. Critical care 20.00 chin will eat around 1lb per month, syringes, meds, on a as needed basis, incisor trimming-65.00, may need to be done every 2-3 weeks, you will need to keep the chin clean or the chest and chin will become irritated and the chin will get dermatitis, eye infections will be repeated over and over along with toot and gum infections. 24/7/365 you will need to be there for the chin, this means no vacation at all, taking care of a malo chin is a full time job, if you can't do it 100%, don't try. I have spent over 8k on just one chin for 4 years of treatment and he was put down, as were the other 9. You will not win, there is no cure, there really is not even a humane treatment option, the kindest thing you can do it put the chin down, took me 10 chins to fiqure it out, if it happened to me again I would not hesitate.

I agree with everyone. Root elongation is a loosing battle. I would get the xrays done to confirm but doing a dental on that type of malo doesn't work.

Listen to Dawn - she really has tried/seen it all with malo. I have always said that if I had a chin with malo I would put them down and I stick by that.

Thank you for the advice every one. She seems to be doing better now. No more eye discharge. However she is still kind of mad at us for the medicine. Planning to still get x-rays done soon just because she has never had them done before. Want to make sure she is really in the clear.

Very, very sad with these responses. Curiosity kills the cat, and I don't blame anyone for writing their responses, as it's good to get those who are knowledgable's thoughts.

I just brought my baby boy chin, only 3 yrs old, to the vet (after noticing many symptoms) and he is having dental filing this Thurs. My vet could feel root growth. This is my first experience with any dental issues with either of my chins. My vet told me a lot is up in the air bc he has no other health issues with his eyes or organs, he is so young, and she won't know until the surgery/we have x-rays done how serious the issue is. I don't want this to be a death sentence. I can't lose him so early on in his life. I will put him down if his quality of life will be affected... but I can't even bear to think about that... I'm trying to prepare myself, but this thread gave me a rude awakening. :/ I want to be the best mommy to him that I can be while he is with me, and I will not drag out any suffering, but I also will go broke bringing him for filings if this is manageable.

You can "treat" it for awhile. But there is no cure, it only gets worse and eventually fatal. I can't imagine the amount of pain roots growing into your skull would cause.... but for me, the choice will always be to euthanize. Everybody has to make that decision for your self.

Luna was doing better, but my boyfriend and I have noticed she has lost a noticeable amount of weight. I've seen her eat but clearly it hasn't been enough. I wasn't too worried at first because the vet said she was over weight and could stand to lose some, but it feels like too much in a short time to me. We are taking her back to the vet today. I'm worried the Baytril either gave her a respiratory infection or has just all together killed her appetite.
We were thinking she was just being a little lethargic because she was mad at us for having to burrito her for 2 weeks twice a day to get the medic down. As I said she was better for about a week and now she is hardly eating, doesn't even want treats. I've seen all the post on how bad Baytril is wish I had seen them earlier. I'm making it a point to never us that stuff again.
We love her so much this all is breaking our hearts but we want what is best for her. She is our first chin baby, as least our second, Aurora is doing okay. Luna doesn't seem to be in pain, she isn't grinding her teeth or squeaking so I'm hoping we will just have to hand feed her for awhile. Just have to see what the vet says. Fingers crossed

Back