Potty-training older chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddykay

The past owners of my 2 year old chinchilla did not potty train her. So she always just pees in the same corner of her cage and sometimes on her bed. I've read about a couple ways to potty train a chin, but what do you guys think is the easiest and most effective way to potty train? Also, what kind of container to use and "litter material" (can't think of a better word??) I will need. And typically how long it takes for them to take to their littler box?

If she's always peeing in the same corner, place the litter pan in that same spot. I use a Pyrex dish with aspen shavings. Give her bed a really good wash to get rid of the odour.

I don't think you can really "train" them. Some chins take to it and like to use it, others don't. You just have to wait and see what happens. :)

I've heard of chins being trained - three of mine are, the other two are somewhat hopeless. The best way in my experience has been to find out where they like to go, then set up a litter station there with some used bedding so they can sense where to go. I reuse 5% of used bedding each time, just to make sure they know the area.

As said it makes it easy if she already pees in one corner, just put shavings in a non chewable dish, like a pyrex dish or small metal pan, some people even sell metal corner litter pans. For some chins it only takes a few days to catch on to the idea, others it can take weeks, and for others, generally the ones that don't already pee in one spot, they may never get it. I gave up with my current two, the literally take two steps to the side from where ever they are standing and pee. If you use shavings in the whole cage just scoop up any peed on areas and place it in the litter box. Also make sure you clean up the "accidents" well so the only area that smells like pee is the litter box. They can only be pee potty trained, not poop trained.

Dessy took to her potty tray easily, and 90% of the time she uses it.

Then she pees in a completely different spot in her cage...

All I can do is clean the "accidents" as soon as I catch them and change her potty shavings often. I don't scrub often scrub the tray, though, so it holds the "pee here!" scent.

Back