Small poops after food change

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin5609

When I bought my chin she was on Martins Original Rabbit food, I was going to change it to something better but she had kits so I decided to wait till she was done nursing and all that before I messed with her diet,

I now have all 3 (Momma and 2 babies now about 4~ months old) on Oxbow Deluxe Chinchilla food, I mixed it and slowly added in more Oxbow for about 2 weeks until the rabbit food was all gone and recently noticing smaller poops, slightly softer but still solid, far from diarrhea.

Is this normal for a food brand change? Did I change it too quickly? Everything else is fine she is active as ever (currently running around the room like mad bouncing off walls) I cut back and eventually cut out all treats for now, is there any cause for concern?

Edit: I also noticed her laying flat on her belly which she hasn't done before, gas maybe?

Last edited:
Could just be the change in food for her and the kits. Oxbow is a good brand, most chins love it so I wouldn't worry there. As long as everyone is behaving normal I wouldn't give it to much worry.

As far as her laying on her stomach, my chins lay in all sorts of weird positions most which make me walk in and have a mini heart attack. I have one female who lays flat on her back under her hidey house. Each time I see her I swear she isn't breathing. Needless to say, she gives me an annoyed look when I disturb her to make sure she is okay.

Hay/food/water intake seems all normal, same with activity/energy levels.

Poops a bit bigger tonight

Their poops will get larger as soon as their digestive system adjusts to the new food. Exercise will help get things moving.

Back