Metacam?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

So houdini went to the vet yesterday. He had stopped eating his pellets. He was still eating plenty of hay and pooing fine, fully active and alert as well. I had also noticed some blood on one of the ledges as well. I saw no abrasions or cuts anywhere on his body or his paws and feet. Possibly from his urine. His father had just got treated for a bladder infection recently as well.

I got the antibiotic for his for the possible infection. But they also gave me a bottle of Metacam Oral susp/ melooxicam (so says the label) .2 ml once a day.

I had just heard that metacam can actually suppress appetite. Is this true? If so is it a good idea to use this now considering he stopped eating pellets?

I haven't noticed metacam causing a decrease in appetite and it is my preferred drug to use for pain relief. Pain can also reduce appetite. Opioid pain relievers are much more likely to cause nausea and reduced appetite.

I've had chins on Metacam for long periods of time before, and have never noticed an associated drop in appetite. On the contrary, when they got the Metacam, they ate more because they felt so much better.

It depends on the individual. In most cases it won't affect their eating but in sensitive chins it may. The stress alone from medicating can cause changes in eating do outta hard to say if it's the actual meds our the stress

The stress alone from medicating can cause changes in eating do outta hard to say if it's the actual meds our the stress

That part im well aware of. Last time i had to give chico meds, i had to pick him up to do so because he didnt like the taste of them. He also has a pathological fear of being picked up. So every time he saw me, you could see him getting defensive and scared. He stopped eating period after that.

So i had to get his med changed to one he had before with no issues, and this was the result. Incredible'

Heres hoping Houdini likes this taste as well!

Back