Pet Insurance

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzshabammAndRio

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has pet health insurance for their chinchilla?
I was looking into it and I am not sure what is legit and what isn't, and what would be best for Rio.

He was an accident prone baby, but hasn't hurt himself in quite awhile, but more importantly, I am very low on income and really would like an insurance policy for him that will ultimately save me money. A basic exam which I get him every six months puts me behind $75 and that doesn't seem like much, but I only work part time at $7.50/hr....I just want to do what is best for my baby despite my financial situation.

He is my whole world and I want to make sure he is always happy and healthy.

Thank you!
Jaz & Rio

Unless there is something wrong with the chin they really don't need an exam every 6 months. Taking a chin to the vet can add extra stress on them and create a problem. My current two are about 8 and have never been to the vet, my previous ones only saw the vet on an as need basis. They don't need shots, deworming, or anything like a cat or dog so there is very little the vet can do that you can't do at home (unless as I said there is a medical reason you are taking him in every 6 months). Weigh the chin at least once a month at home, a scale measuring in grams is only about $10 or so. Weight loss is normally the first sign something is wrong and a vet visit is needed.

What I do, mostly because there is no pet insurance option in Canada for chinchillas, is open up a savings account just for vet bills. Rather then paying money to an insurance company every month put aside money in an account.

Another option are vet credit cards, they work like a credit card but only work at your vet (or vets that accept them), so you could get the care you need and pay it off over time. They have those up here in Canada so I would assume they would have them down in the states too.

I'm sure someone with more info in the US can help if you want to go the insurance route though.

Back