Questions for Vet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass C

My chinchillas have not been to a vet in several years due to an unfortunate situation I explained in my introduction. I will be taking them soon, but I was wondering are there any specific questions you usually ask a vet to make sure they really know chinchillas and aren't just trying to make money? Or even some health questions I need to be sure I ask when I take them in?

I know the standard questions for taking in a cat or dog, but am not sure when it comes to chinchillas. When I took the chinchillas before I had no idea what I was doing and my boy Viper almost died from getting neutered.

I'm sorry if this is a repost, but I wasn't able to search for this question, because the word 'vet' isn't long enough.

Hi there! I read your intro, and I'm so happy you were able to step in and take them out of a bad situation. As far as neutering, it sounds like a botched surgery, or an inexperienced vet. I'd suggest, if you're ever in that situation again (where one needs it done), to find an exotic vet (which cleary you're in the process of doing). We've had two neutered over the years, one well before it was a "thing" (you know, back in the 90's). In my opinion the benefits outweigh the risk, but I can also sympathize worth you.

Anyway... I think asking about diet, bathing, suitable bedding would be good starters. Answers, and I'm sure others can add to this, would be high quality hay and pellets (many folks don't understand the importance of hay), not pet store brands. I'd like to hear my vet say that Aspen or kiln-dried pine were acceptable, but not other wood chips, I'd be very interested if they suggested fleece or tiles, which are also good choices.

Those are just my two cents, I'm sure the pros will weigh in soon. Good luck!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Aside from basic husbandry questions, I would ask about health issues they are prone to to make sure they know about bloat, GI stasis, maloclussion, etc. and what treatments/diagnostics they run for them. I would also ask what medications they commonly prescribe for chins- I have noticed many vets just throwing baytril at anything and everything, when it really should be reserved for more serious illnesses due to it's side effects. Also ask how many chins they treat a month on average.

Back