Mom of baby chinchilla biting its base of the tail !!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, so I posted a thread of what to feed my baby chinchilla a couple days ago. The mom has been producing milk but I’m worried about the baby because the mom has been biting it’s base of the tail. I’ve seen her bite it!! It doesn’t even have hair there anymore!!! What can I do to make her stop that? Or what I can do? I have separated the baby from the mom and just take it when he needs to eat. I’ve been trying to feed it just in case he doesn’t eat enough and so far seems good and active. Thanks in advance :).

I had a mom do that to her 2nd oldest daughter. The mom had a daughter another daughter that was a month old when I noticed blood in the cage. The mom's teeth were so white I ended up giving alfalfa and calcium. Mom died within a week. The oldest daughter ended up caring for her own kit and her youngest sister. The 2nd oldest daughter started to chew her tail this year so I just give them all timothy and some alfalfa hay at night. I hope you understand my post. It might work for you or not. Good luck.

Back