Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayofhope

Hi guys,

There's a possibility I will be getting a hedgehog soon, depending on whether or not my landlord permits me to have one.

Anyway, I have a few questions about their care.

1. Is there a specific type of fleece/material that needs to be used as liner, or is any type okay? Would I be able to buy a cheap fleece blanket and use that?

2. Can I get some kind of price quotes on supplies when starting out? I will not be buying a cage, as I already have either a bin or a different cage I can use. I will need to buy a heater for the winter, too, what are types/prices? (Or would it better to just use a little plug-in heater in my room, since it works pretty well?) How much will I spend on what and overall starting out price, not counting the hedgehog's price?

3. Can I get a price quote on after starting out? How much do you spend on a single hedgehog per year? I know that depends on how much toys you buy and if you choose bedding vs. liner, but what about food and the other costs that don't really vary per year?

4. How easy are they to transport, not counting temperature? My commute to college is a six hour drive, and I go home on holidays. So the hedgehog would have a six hour drive a few times a year. Would I be able to transport him in his cage, or would I need to have a little kennel?

5. Are they noisy? Besides the wheel, is there anything that makes very much noise?

6. Will there by any difference in bonding if I adopt a hedgehog from somewhere like Craigslist vs. a pet store? Any difference in bonding if the former owner did not provide adequate care? Before saying yes to any hedgehog, what are the signs of a healthy hedgehog? If he has mites, should I say no, or should I "rescue" him? Is there any difference for bonding as to the hedgehog's age/is it easier to bond with a baby?

7. What is the purpose of the light on for 12 hours a day? What do you mean by the question "has he quilled yet"?

Sorry for the overload of questions, and sorry if the answers are somewhere on the forum. I've looked around already but haven't had the time to look super deeply yet, and my internet is pretty limited right now.

Thank you!

Okay, I've looked up the answer to some of these. I'm still not sure on the type of fleece thing, #1--if they're like chinchillas and need a specific type, or if any will do. It sounds like the type of heater depends on the type of cage, and I suppose I don't need the price quotes so much (#2-3). Still not sure on traveling with her in the cage, nor am I sure about how to heat while traveling, besides keeping the car warm (#4)? I'm guessing they're not noisy (#5). I'll have no way of knowing about mites, and I'm guessing bonding is a bit different but not very (#6). They need the light on to keep a day/night cycle, and quilling is part of the maturing process, like teething? (#7.)

One added question: What temperature is too warm for them? I know 73-78 is minimum, but what is maximum?

Sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet! For fleece, I still think it is a good idea to use anti-pill fleece for hedgehogs. You don't want something that is going to have strings or balls coming off it, because these could get wrapped around their legs or toes.

When I had hedgehogs I would just heat the whole room with an electric space heater to the temp they were comfortable at.

Travelling depends on what type of cage you end up using. I would think with a bin type cage you could transport the hedgehog in the cage without issues, as long as you removed any items that might slide around and injure them. If you had a larger cage you would need to get a travel carrier of some sort.

Hedgehogs are not too noisy, other than running in the wheel at night.

Mites are usually an easy fix, a visit to the vet for some Revolution usually takes care of it, so even if the hedgehog you adopt has mites, that is not really a big deal. Just be sure to find a vet that is knowledgeable about hedgehogs before you adopt, and get a quote for a checkup and mite treatment.

Quilling is part of the growing up process for hedgehogs. I've never actually had a hedgehog go through quilling with me, since I have always adopted older hedgehogs.

As for temperature, I kept them at a steady 75 degrees, and didn't let it vary much from that.

Back