Cage trouble

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueDiamond

I'm building a chinchilla cage, and I can't find a grate for the cage :wacko:. The chin might be coming soon, and I need to get a bottom quick. I only need enough for one or two cages. Do you know if I can I use PVC coated wire?
Thanks!

Wouldn't suggest it unless you cover it with fleece, they'll chew it right up. I'd suggest Home Depot if you're in the US, they have lots of wire mesh for a quick fix around the cage. For the bottom of the cage, I'd suggest a bedding pan or solid surface and attempt to potty train the chin until you can find exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks! I am in the US, and I looked at Home Depot, but it all the grate looked kinda thin for a chin. I'll keep looking though :)Thanks for the advice!

How about getting a Ferret Nation or Critter Nation cage? I'd be reluctant to try and build my own chinchilla cage - I'd be likely to leave a sharp edge somewhere that could hurt a chin, or leave some other structural flaw :-/

How about getting a Ferret Nation or Critter Nation cage? I'd be reluctant to try and build my own chinchilla cage - I'd be likely to leave a sharp edge somewhere that could hurt a chin, or leave some other structural flaw :-/
I looked at those and they are over my price range. I make my own rabbit cages, and have a good cleaning system, so I want to stick with the general plans, just add levels and chew toys.:)

You can normally pick up FN's and CN's cheaply on craigslist... I just got a FN for only $50, it was cheap because it was missing all of the trays, which I didn't want anyways.

You dont really want a wire bottom since it could hurt a chin's feet to stand on (bumblefoot), or catch a toe or leg when hopping around and have broken bones.
I think the thin mesh would be ok as a bottom support and then have like fleece covered cookie sheets on top of it for a solid surface or something like that until you can get something better. Maybe make a bottom out of a safe wood and cover in granite/tile? (there's threads on how to safely tile cages if you search) Im not sure how well it'd work- my chin came with a ferret nation with a metal pan bottom and fleece all done for me. It depends on how your cage already is and how uch your chin would get into it. Im sure my Yuki would pick at it until he found a weak point if I tried to make something.

Back