Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Housing & Supplies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Housing & Supplies Anything to do with the housing & supplies of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 AM Singapore
Full-Time Chinnies Parent

Chinchillas: 4
Thumbs up

I was looking for this post and i think its very useful for people who want todiy their shelves. im gonna do a little bump to this post because I think others might miss it..

Last edited by warmice; 12-04-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 AM

For those of you who have loving hubbies,boyfriends,daddys-I have found the solution to anything I want made for my chins!!! All I have to do is give my hubby a pic or idea of what I want. The deal cincher is- he gets a new "man toy" out of it! This works well for pretty much any honey do project. Let's see, so far in the last few years he has needed/acquired a plunge router,random orbit sander,biscuit cutter(no not the ones you eat),circular saw,power drill, and too many other hand tools/accessories to name!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM United States

Chinchillas: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercynursie View Post
All I have to do is give my hubby a pic or idea of what I want. The deal cincher is- he gets a new "man toy" out of it!
ROFL... yeah that works with mine too!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

I'm not having much luck with my shelves. I had five 8" and three 18" shelves cut and am determined to get them mounted. When I screw the hanger bolts in either way...using the double wing nut with one upside down and the single wing nut, they keep getting stuck to the bolt. I've got 4 of them that I can't use, but they did come out of the wood...lol Wednesday, my bf is coming over to drill pilot holes since I don't have a power drill. I sure hope that solves the problem, because it seems like that's the only practical way to attach them so they can be removed for cleaning. Or...is there another way that might work?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM United States
Always into something...

Another little tip that may help some of you who do not own a drill....if you'll get a nail that's slightly smaller than the diameter of the bolt you're trying to use, hammer it into the wood where you want the bolt to go (make sure to hammer the nail in straight), then remove the nail. When you go to screw the bolt into the wood, the nail hole acts as a pilot hole and will generally go in MUCH easier.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 PM United States

I had a lot of problems making these at first. My wing nuts also kept getting stuck on the bolts... let's not discuss how many I ruined. I was able to get some free by removing the screw and nut and getting two pliers and twisting in opposite directions.

I also got my wood cut at Lowe's and they had signs everywhere saying that it was free (lumber as well as tiles and other things, too). I also couldn't get the bolts into the wood without a pilot hole (but I have bad muscles and my hands were having a flare up though). I ended up making 4 and they look really good! And I have a bunch of left over wood if I ever want to switch it up.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM United States
..has a fleece addiction

Chinchillas: 4

yeah, I find that the wingnuts get stuck on the bolts easier when you really crank on them to get the bolt into the wood. So the bigger the pilot hole for me, the easier they are to get in, and as a result the wing nuts come off easier.
Now on Facebook! Become a fan, the more I get the more specials I will post!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 PM United States

that's what I found too. I started drilling bigger holes after that and it went by a LOT easier. At first I was so frustrated though.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
karnage75

so which is actually better for the FN's wing nut or wood screw /washer combos?
starting to make my shelves sunday so just wanted to know before I head out.
and I do agree with the tool thing My wife didn't think I needed tools til I explained the cost of diy vs retail. she does understand money she cant shop with lol.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:58 PM United States
<---House beaver.

Chinchillas: 3

Thank you for this post! After looking at all of your cages I noticed that they had no plastic in them. All of my shelves are plastic. I didn't know they were bad when i bought her. She does not chew on her shelves but I did notice she has started chewing on her ramps. I know she does not need ramps but she like them. I've even seen her sleeping on them.

Looks like I will be heading to Lowes today. Mamma wants a new drill!! This is the perfect excuse to get one.

What kind of screws would you recommend for a cage with horizontal bars??