Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Chinchillas: 2
Default Nutri-Cal

I had to take one of my chinnies, Milo, to the vet today because I noticed that he didnít eat his food last night. He was checked out by the vet, listened and felt of tummy, checked teeth ect. Milo did have a couple of small hard poos at the vet. The vet gave me Nutri-Cal to give him and I wanted to verify that itís not going to cause any problems. The vet that knows more about chinchillas wasnít in, but this vet does deal with horses quite often so that makes me feel a little better about his advice. Milo hasnít completely stopped eating, but close enough, Iíve seen him eat a couple pieces of hay. Also Iím going to start giving him some tummy massages.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 PM United States
Summer Hale

Chinchillas: 75

Nutri-Cal is supplement, high in calories. Yes, it safe to give to your chin.

8 dogs
75 +/- chins
www.4everchins.com
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Chinchillas: 25+

yeah it is safe to give but I don't think for long term. If the chin is having problems I would be more curious as to why? What did the vet say was wrong? why did he suggest nutrical and not anything else? Also if it's not eating I would get some critical care and use that instead.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM United States
Chinchilla Chateau

Chinchillas: 60

Personally, I would never give Nutrical to a chinchilla or any small herbivore. It is basically a high calorie supplement loaded with fats and sugars. High fat foods signal the body to slow the process of digestion and this can be very bad for a chinchilla. If a chinchilla does not have food adequately moving through the gut, it can lead to G.I. stasis. If you need to supplement your chin, I would stick with Critical Care which was developed as a supplement for herbivores and has high fiber to keep food in the gut moving and prevent stasis.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 PM United States
Administrator/Owner

Chinchillas: 300'

I would only give Nutrical as a last resort. As SUmiko said - it is not meant for an herbivore. Instead, go with the critical care.

Nutri-Cal is just calories in a tube. There are better sources of calories for chins, especially if they are having gut issues.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 PM
RMC

A direct quote from Alice Kline "Nutrical The greatest food suppliment for babies and sick animals that has happened"
Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Chinchillas: 2

Thanks for the responses. I'll call other vets about getting some Critical Care. I've been trying to get him to eat, but it's been very little and he didn't like the massages. Hopefully tonight will go better.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM United States
Administrator/Owner

Quote:
A direct quote from Alice Kline "Nutrical The greatest food suppliment for babies and sick animals that has happened"
Last time I checked, chins were herbivores.

Just out of curiosity Luke - Would you also feed your chinchillas steak?

ETA: A description of Nutri-Cal:

Quote:
Nutrical is a high calorie, low volume dietary supplement for dogs and cats that won't eat. It provides an additional source of energy for hunting and working dogs.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 PM
RMC

No where on the packageing does it use the word "carnivore " as you claimed before editing your post. The ingredient list doesn't list steak or any other product that would make it a "carnivore" only suppliment or one that would harm a herbivore. Wether some one chooses to listen to people here ,or take the advise of a vet who has had at least eight years of advanced education, and the advice of some one who is world recognized for their research for years in chinchilla. as well as having numerious published books on chinchilla as well as numerious articles on health and care of chinchilla's in periodicals around the world. Is up to the individual.
But as for my choice I choose to follow the advice of those with decades of chinchilla health research. and that of more then one vet.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 PM United States
Administrator/Owner

I changed it Luke, because I could not find my tube that I had here. On the back, it said "carnivorous", but I did not, however, want to post that in light of your "debates" about misquoting and so on.

My point to the steak comment was some things are meant for chins, some aren't. Perhaps during Alice Klein's time, Critical Care was not what it is today. Or, perhaps Nutri-Cal was the "quick fix" instead of the long-term treatment, as Critical Care is. Pet owners are more willing to sit and spend hours upon hours on their one "pet" chin. Spending as long as necessary at the vet or at home caring for them. That is not practical for most ranchers.

So your advice then, with an animal suffering from bloat, would be to load it with a bunch of junk meant for dogs and cats, rather than to feed it a supplement specifically formulated for chinchillas?

On some things I would agree with you about long time breeders/ranchers and their advice, but when a product comes along that is proven to get the job done, and you don't have to feed something that is NOT recommended for chinchillas, I'll take my chances with the critical care.